What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled both rear wheels and brakes to check up on my "rear axle rebuild" and make sure everything looked kosher. I see no evidence this axle was ever removed from the truck. All suspension fasteners look high mileage und untouched. So it must have been rebuilt "in vehicle". So that is one lie I caught. Axle play seems the way it should be, minimal. See the new axle seals. DEFINITLY confirm new LS diff is in there. Between driving tests and I can break the lugs loose/re-torque with one wheel off the ground.

However, the driver side rotor hat was full of damn oil/sludge. Seal is brand new. It was already leaking bad before I took it in. That tells me they never bothered to clean it it the fk back up. Just slapped it back together. I cleaned it all up real good and reassembled everything. Kinda has me a little pissed off but not gonna make a big deal out of it for right now. Time will tell, I'll keep an eye on it.

Then I flipped the truck around in the driveway to change my AC belt. I noticed it was getting cracks in the ribs. The main belt looked fine. I got a ACDelco Specialty K040378HD Heavy Duty V-Ribbed Serpentine Belt from Amazon to install. When the belts were off I checked all the pulleys and idlers. Idler and pulley for the AC is whooped too. :(

Amazon says it can get me a ACDelco Professional 38159 Drive Belt Tensioner Assembly with Pulley tomorrow. So that will be tomorrow's project. I'll have to attack that from underneath.

New harbor freight jack is kicking ass and taking names, love it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled both rear wheels and brakes to check up on my "rear axle rebuild" and make sure everything looked kosher. I see no evidence this axle was ever removed from the truck. All suspension fasteners look high mileage und untouched. So it must have been rebuilt "in vehicle". So that is one lie I caught. Axle play seems the way it should be, minimal. See the new axle seals. DEFINITLY confirm new LS diff is in there. Between driving tests and I can break the lugs loose/re-torque with one wheel off the ground.

However, the driver side rotor hat was full of damn oil/sludge. Seal is brand new. It was already leaking bad before I took it in. That tells me they never bothered to clean it it the fk back up. Just slapped it back together. I cleaned it all up real good and reassembled everything. Kinda has me a little pissed off but not gonna make a big deal out of it for right now. Time will tell, I'll keep an eye on it.

Then I flipped the truck around in the driveway to change my AC belt. I noticed it was getting cracks in the ribs. The main belt looked fine. I got a ACDelco Specialty K040378HD Heavy Duty V-Ribbed Serpentine Belt from Amazon to install. When the belts were off I checked all the pulleys and idlers. Idler and pulley for the AC is whooped too. :(

Amazon says it can get me a ACDelco Professional 38159 Drive Belt Tensioner Assembly with Pulley tomorrow. So that will be tomorrow's project. I'll have to attack that from underneath.

New harbor freight jack is kicking ass and taking names, love it.
The axle housing is not removed or even touch for a rebuild, unless you get a new housing, the rear cover comes off, the wheels and brakes come off, the carrier is removed then the axles are pulled out from the housing. new bearing and seals go back in axles go back in, carrier goes in, brakes and wheels back on. cover back on, fill with gear oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMCO

Latest posts