What do you guys think about my plans... VMAX tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that is NOT correct. The Denali has a LQ4. The only "DENALI" that got the lq9 was the pickup truck version similar to the Chevy SS. It was the only GMC with the LQ9 engine. All Yukon Denali, etc were all LQ4 buddy. A Escalade will BURN a Denali especially on the top end. Ask me why, I know, cause I have personally witnessed it.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

No its a 2wd truck, wanted a 2wd badly. My truck sits perfectly level, and looks sporty as hell. Sits lower than a 4x4 truck. On the streets alot will say yea its a 4wd, cause it sits so level.

This is for you guys to see how she looks.
eeed61db.gif
5c00554f.gif
9b20d625.gif

Again, only the Ecalade 01-06 had the LQ9, and also it had to have been the AWD version. The 2wd Escalades had the 5.3. The Chevy SS trucks had the LQ9 as well, 06-07 being the VMAX package. The GMC pickup Denali, came with the LQ9. All other Denalis were the LQ4 engine. Lq9s are a dime a dozen, Lq4s are plentiful. But its good deals all over the place if you know what to look for.

I know you got great gains from your lq9 and all, but honestly there isnt that big of a difference..compression is most of it, along with better pushrods and a bit better tune..which both are changed with a cam..my stock lq4 with a blackbear tune would beat an escalade and did many times..with the converter its no contest even on my 24s..and im at 6100 lbs with stereo and rims..im .5 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile with the rims/tires that are almost 100 lbs a piece...with stocks on i can smoke the tires through 2nd

I just dont want people to get the wrong idea..the lq4 is actually a better motor if you plan on going boosted because of the lower compression...the lq9 better if you plan on staying N/A, but either way, the lq9 is just a bit "stronger" with its components, the tune makes up half of its "high output"..

also the 2wd and the 4wd sit at the same height..they have the same coils in rear and are both torsion bars in front...the autoride tahoes sit a bit higher in rear from what most have said, and the z71 is higher then that, but you could get them both 2wd and 4x4 from what ive seen..i measured mine when i got it on stock wheels to a 2wd and it was identical..im now at 32.5" with a 3/5 drop that only cost $350 and rides like stock..

and as well, not all 2wd escalades were a 5.3..depending on the year it was a 6.0, as well as normal or esv...my old neighbor had an esky with 2wd that is damn sure a 6.0..i saw them bring it home from the dealer and it said 6.0 on the engine cover..the vin also checked out a 6.0 since i thought they only came 5.3 in 2wd

http://www.decodethis.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65&vin=1GYEC63N35R223539

not trying to bust your balls, just sayin

Last edited:
OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I build my engines on the high side of compression. I like 11.1 stuff, so the VMAX 10.1 is just okay in my book. But much better than the LQ4 compression. I love higher compression motors, and would always pick that over a lower compression version anything. Like you said LQ4 is better for a boosted application, since the compression is about a point lower. The same custom tune on both LQ4 & LQ9 will put out a very different output. I understand what your saying, about them just getting any 6.0, and thats fine. But compressions play a huge role on engine output, ask any builder. Yes, just the compression being different. In fact I plan to raise compression on my LQ9 even higher by switching out to some better heads and thiner gaskets, to get near 11.1. Not all of us like power adders or plan to use them. High compression with little boost, will put out equal power to a lower compression and tons of boost. Im planing to run a STS rear mount turbo with my high compression stuff, and only using about 8psi to add about 100 hp.

Yes, the ESV Escalade 2wds were LQ9, and Im certain GM would have swap whatever you wanted in a regular Escalade as your vehicle was built.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 AM ----------

My gains are sustainable, Im still NOT tuned on a 5.3 litter tune which is stock. Ill post results as I get it street tuned this week or next sometime. I agree with a custom tune a either lq4 or lq9 70hp is hiding in the tune which will yield the most gains on these trucks. But hold both equal, have the same tunes on both engines, and you will find yourself a winner.

---------- Post added at 05:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

also the 2wd and the 4wd sit at the same height..they have the same coils in rear and are both torsion bars in front...the autoride tahoes sit a bit higher in rear from what most have said, and the z71 is higher then that, but you could get them both 2wd and 4x4 from what ive seen..i measured mine when i got it on stock wheels to a 2wd and it was identical..im now at 32.5" with a 3/5 drop that only cost $350 and rides like stock..

Interesting.

OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do 4x4s call for longer front struts than my 2wd? With my tbars maxed, I cant feel no down travel, I need a longer shock upfront. I was told to get a 4x4 shock. But now I hear they are the same height?

But our debate is like saying the lq9 & ls2 are the same. I would spring towards the ls2 for the 10.9.1 compression. Same family engine, same parts mostly. But more compression, better engine IMO. As a matter of fact, Im putting some 243 heads on my lq9 to get compression to that range.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

They also make the aluminum 5.3 ** with more compression as well with flattops. I would say thats better than the low compression 5.3 as well. You cant beat compression, you make more power and tq throughout the entire rpm spectrum. Ive ran some 11.5 even 12 point compression ratio on the streets with 93 octane and good tuning in the past. A beast on the streets if you ask me. Anything over 11.5 and 500hp is so easy to achieve.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do 4x4s call for longer front struts than my 2wd? With my tbars maxed, I cant feel no down travel, I need a longer shock upfront. I was told to get a 4x4 shock. But now I hear they are the same height?

But our debate is like saying the lq9 & ls2 are the same. I would spring towards the ls2 for the 10.9.1 compression. Same family engine, same parts mostly. But more compression, better engine IMO. As a matter of fact, Im putting some 243 heads on my lq9 to get compression to that range.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

They also make the aluminum 5.3 ** with more compression as well with flattops. I would say thats better than the low compression 5.3 as well. You cant beat compression, you make more power and tq throughout the entire rpm spectrum. Ive ran some 11.5 even 12 point compression ratio on the streets with 93 octane and good tuning in the past. A beast on the streets if you ask me. Anything over 11.5 and 500hp is so easy to achieve.

that is wierd that it calls for a different shock..i dont see what could be different, unless stock they come with different keys or torsion bars? i dont see how the front height could change since the only difference is the lack of a diff in the front..very intersting..

OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found out they are within 1" but the 2wd are decranked like a mother.... It easy to spot them with all the lowend rake they come stock with. Which was the 1st mod I had to do. I guess they just used abit shorter shock for less travel. Im looking for a 4x4 front shocks now. Im also looking for the front valence to cut some air from the front of my truck as well. The 04-06 had a extra 2 inch valence to lower the front on the 2wds. I would like to use that valence with my current height.

Last edited:

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found out they are within 1" but the 2wd are decranked like a mother.... It easy to spot them with all the lowend rake they come stock with. Which was the 1st mod I had to do. I guess they just used abit shorter shock for less travel. Im looking for a 4x4 front shocks now. Im also looking for the front valence to cut some air from the front of my truck as well. The 04-06 had a extra 2 inch valence to lower the front on the 2wds. I would like to use that valence with my current height.

you can get that bottom valance from the dealer...real cheap...imo your truck has a great stance, but with 2" coils in rear and a slight decrank it would look awesome..sometimes that bottom valance looks out of place on a stock height truck..

you can get a new swaybar rear and front with new links at a 2/4 and ride like stock, and handle like a sports car,whiile having a amazing stance..if i had anything other then the 24s, thats what i would run..right now im on a 3/5 with only keys in front and coils in rear...heres the stock wheels on it

tahoe.jpg

and idk if you even want to go lower or not, but shit..i live in WI and drive it in the winter..never did I get hung up..shit i ever took it mudding lol..i can go through anything in the winter a normal truck can do..

DSCN0970.jpg
DSCN0974.jpg
DSCN0987.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of now, I dont think I will lower or lift it. I think its perfect to me. But alot of people want me to lower it at the same time. But it handles excellent now, and at times Im known to use my suspension hoping over stuff, I use this thing like a truck. I did plan to upgrade to thicker bars and bushings.

These pics just dont do no justice. Truck is dirty without tire shine either. I need to take some new pics, but I got these older ones for now.

God I need to get grill and bumpers painted black asap...
def67484.gif

Incline...
8de999e7.gif

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
why not go with a Bumper cover for the Front? I love Mine and and getting another one to put on it the same so I wont have the Cut slots for the Push Gard I have. I love Your Wheels, What Size did You get 20 or 22? I just ordered Mine from WheelPros in Black in the 20". Oh and Hoe be Carful I am running 11.1Comp and Good luck pushing 8 PSI with that kinda Comp You will be lucky to run at 5 PSI. Nice Hoe tho.

OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not go with a Bumper cover for the Front? I love Mine and and getting another one to put on it the same so I wont have the Cut slots for the Push Gard I have. I love Your Wheels, What Size did You get 20 or 22? I just ordered Mine from WheelPros in Black in the 20". Oh and Hoe be Carful I am running 11.1Comp and Good luck pushing 8 PSI with that kinda Comp You will be lucky to run at 5 PSI. Nice Hoe tho.

Can someone link me to what a bumper cover looks like? Thanks, they are 20s. Im runing 10.1 compression planing on using 8psi from a TVS expecting 450RWHP stock.

solored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LQ9 Applications:

2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado SS
2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Vortec ** Edition Only [Badging on truck](B4V)
2006-2007 Classic Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra VortecMAX Option

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RODER 60