What do you guys think of Pioneer Premier SPL 15"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B0$$MAN

Boss of all Bosses
Reaction score
I recently sold my 3 Alpine Type-R 15" subwoofer setup in order to get my trunk space back in my 2002 Yukon Denali.

I am looking at a single Pioneer Premier SPL 15" 3000W RMS 8000W MAX. My current amplifier (DD M3A; A little over 3000W RMS @ 14.4 volts) can power this with no problem. I can also get it for roughly ~$600.

It will be put in a custom built box using 1" MDF, Ported to 32-33Hz, 3.5-4 Cubic Feet of airspace, double baffled, and reinforced.

What do you guys think?

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for everything i just looked at.. id do the fi btl over that.. it honestly doesnt even look as impressive as the RF T2 15 imo

OP
OP
B0$$MAN

B0$$MAN

Boss of all Bosses
Reaction score
The RF T2 RMS's only at 1000 watts. Remember, I will be pushing slightly over 3000 watts RMS. Pioneer still holds the world record for loudest setup using their SPL series subwoofers; 184db. That was back in early 90's I believe, and they still hold that record.

The Fi BTL or DD Z95 are the only other subwoofers that I can think of that can withstand this amount of power. I don't want to go over 3.4-4.0 cubic feet of airspace because I don't want my entire trunk to be taken up like my last setup; hence why I got rid of it.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The RF T2 RMS's only at 1000 watts. Remember, I will be pushing slightly over 3000 watts RMS. Pioneer still holds the world record for loudest setup using their SPL series subwoofers; 184db. That was back in early 90's I believe, and they still hold that record.

The Fi BTL or DD Z95 are the only other subwoofers that I can think of that can withstand this amount of power. I don't want to go over 3.4-4.0 cubic feet of airspace because I don't want my entire trunk to be taken up like my last setup; hence why I got rid of it.

it doesnt help with the 3000w but the rms on the t2 is 1500 not 1000.. rockford wont even warranty it if you tell them you have less then 1000w rms going to it.

Alan had the record for a while in like 2008 Running DD (with a single sub btw) with the first 180db setup. Pioneer had it from 05-07(or 08) with 179s till Alan broke it.

Pioneer did take it back with 180.3 at some point with 13 of those subs in 12s.. then Alan took it back on DDs with 181.8... but now craig butler has it with 182.4
on DD

Last edited:

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it doesnt help with the 3000w but the rms on the t2 is 1500 not 1000.. rockford wont even warranty it if you tell them you have less then 1000w rms going to it.

Alan had the record for a while in like 2008 Running DD (with a single sub btw) with the first 180db setup. Pioneer had it from 05-07(or 08) with 179s till Alan broke it.

Pioneer did take it back with 180.3 at some point with 13 of those subs in 12s.. then Alan took it back on DDs with 181.8... but now craig butler has it with 182.4
on DD

x2. theres some guys in other countries too up there in the 80's with few subs. Look into the Fi BTL, DC Audio Lvl 4 XL, soundstream ***'s, Audioque HDC3, RD Audio heavyweight, Sundown Nightshades, Orion HCCA's. I would take any of these over that pioneer. look over on caraudioclassifieds.org there's always good subs for sale, you can get one of these for 300-500.

OP
OP
B0$$MAN

B0$$MAN

Boss of all Bosses
Reaction score
x2. theres some guys in other countries too up there in the 80's with few subs. Look into the Fi BTL, DC Audio Lvl 4 XL, soundstream ***'s, Audioque HDC3, RD Audio heavyweight, Sundown Nightshades, Orion HCCA's. I would take any of these over that pioneer. look over on caraudioclassifieds.org there's always good subs for sale, you can get one of these for 300-500.

Thanks for your help!
I've done tons of research and I have brought it down to either the Soundstream *** 15" or Orion HCCA 15". I am slightly leaning towards the Orion because it has a 4" xmax; That is insane!

Will it do good in a ported box tuned to 32Hz with 3.5 cubic feet of space?

OP
OP
B0$$MAN

B0$$MAN

Boss of all Bosses
Reaction score
Also, What would be a better placement for the subwoofer/port; Subwoofer firing up with port firing back towards the hatch or Subwoofer AND port firing back towards the hatch? - Which would be louder.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Alan, Craig Butler and Scott Owens very well personally. Scott retired to go fishing. I wouldnt buy any sub off what record it has or doesnt have. those are extreme marketing tools ( I know, we've used them ) but they are extreme builds too, not a daily driver. Think of the IA sub?

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Alan, Craig Butler and Scott Owens very well personally. Scott retired to go fishing. I wouldnt buy any sub off what record it has or doesnt have. those are extreme marketing tools ( I know, we've used them ) but they are extreme builds too, not a daily driver. Think of the IA sub?

Lol ill never buy a freaking 15 again.. lol.. i was just pointing out that pioneers records claims about this specific sub are a lil biased..

Lets be honest.. NONE of those vehicles SOUND good at ALL... lol

Yea Trace a Warden would handle 3000w with ease.. .as long as he isnt playing it maxed out for hours on end.. and he has the air to keep them cool.. i have no idea on box specs for the 15s though.. i have only seen the 21s

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrchoopa2u

Latest posts