What's recommended?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLTexas

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been brought up before but I just picked up my new 15 Yukon SLT. What gas is everyone running? Regular unleaded 87, 89, 93 or the E85?

Last edited:

MauiYukonXL

Reaction score
87 on the 5.3 is recommended.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

6.2l is recommended 93

vp46

Reaction score
I've been putting in a higher grade fuel - 93 in the 5.3 - where does the recommendation for 87 come from? Factory?

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been putting in a higher grade fuel - 93 in the 5.3 - where does the recommendation for 87 come from? Factory?

Yes, the owner's manual calls for 87 to be used in the 5.3 and recommends, but doesn't require 91 to be used in the 6.2. That said, using 91 in the 5.3 won't hurt it but you won't get any better performance over using the cheaper gas.

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score

U are wasting your money my friend. On the 5.3L 87 Octane is not only sufficient, but the engine is calibrated for it. 93 might even burn faster

imnohero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you all think there is any real benefit to putting higher octane in the 6.2? One of the reason I convinced myself to sell foreign SUV was cheaper operation. I was planning on getting a 5.3 but decided to go with a Denali with the 6.2. Both have worse mpg's than the one I just sold but I was thinking the cheaper gas would help. It's not a make or break thing but I was curious as to you all's thoughts.

EDIT: I just saw the other threads on the subject so you can disregard. Should've looked a little more...

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the manual says 87 use 87 if it says 93 use 93
there is little to no benefit to using premium gas when 87 is recomended
though i believe the 6.2 now has a higher compression ratio so premium is recomended