What's the best Intake/CAI kit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anything that changes out that stock tube will be just fine. Go with what you want, they all perform pretty close to the same.

Blkout02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there much a difference between a dry filter and one that contains oil?

madmac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cheap Alternative to CAI?

Back in the bad old days, resourceful hotrodders simply replaced the air filter with one that was too tall. This left a gap all the way around the air filter lid, bypassing the restrictive snorkel, and thereby increased air flow to the carburetor at a cost of, well, nothing. A four-barrel carb made a wonderful howling noise. For you youngsters, a carburetor was a device... never mind.

In that spirit, when I had a 1975 Volvo with Bosch fuel injection and no money for accessories, I simply drilled dozens of holes in the air filter canister. I have no idea if it got better mileage or more power, but it seemed to have better throttle response off idle and sounded stronger.

Don't get me wrong. I love those polished tubes and dashing red filters, but has anyone tried drilling holes or cutting openings in the stock air box? Of course it would no longer be a true cold air intake, but then most of the ones on the market look like they pull hot air from the engine compartment, too.

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I love those polished tubes and dashing red filters, but has anyone tried drilling holes or cutting openings in the stock air box? Of course it would no longer be a true cold air intake, but then most of the ones on the market look like they pull hot air from the engine compartment, too.

I did something similar on my '05 Tahoe. I detailed it here: http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=12062

I now have a '07 Denali and haven't yet looked to see if I can do this again.

Excon11

Banned
Reaction score
Im looking at a fujita cold air intake for mine. Any body herd good/bad things about it? Thanks.

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock tube is what you should be changing, as that is where all the restriction is. Check out the resonator on that thing.
I looked at the stock tube and it doesn't seem that bad. I do see the ridiculous looking resonator, but how does that hurt? The resonator is an acoustic sound canceling design, how does it hurt airflow? I would think ample diameter and smooth bends would be the most important, which the stock tube seems to have.

madmac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
By resonator, if you are referring to the closed extension on the air intake projecting toward the driver side, the purpose may be this.

I am no automotive engineer, but if I remember correctly, Yamaha uses a similar arrangement on their ram air intake for the R1 or R6. The idea is that it stores a volume of air held in reserve to be used to aid in transition for sudden throttle openings. But I could be wrong, I often am.

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that is true, I can't see a downside to it.
I still think it is a sound canceling thing. My 05 was louder with the Airaid jr tube, basically the same tube, without the extra chamber, or resonator.
I'd like to see a dyno with and without.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pjoe1320