Wheel hu.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chev7272

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 2001 yukon xl 5.3 slt no traction control . Have a humming/ whooshing noise coming from either the driver left or back not sure which one but as soon as I apply the brakes the sound goes away ? I'm thinking a wheel hub or could this be a half shaft on the way out ? Thanks Doug

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 2001 yukon xl 5.3 slt no traction control . Have a humming/ whooshing noise coming from either the driver left or back not sure which one but as soon as I apply the brakes the sound goes away ? I'm thinking a wheel hub or could this be a half shaft on the way out ? Thanks Doug
you can just jack up the front and check the front hub, spin the wheel by hand and listen to it. grab it and see if it has any play at 12 & 6 (should be none), 3 & 9 will have a little normal play due to steering

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Halfshafts make their noise during turns. When you hit the brakes you are changing the loading on the front hub bearings. Just raise the front wheels off the ground enough to turn the tires and spin them. Listen for some growling. Grab the tire like mentioned above and you'll feel some wiggle in the hub bearing if its bad. You dont want one of those coming apart or locking up while you are cruising down the road!
I had one go bad on me during a 120 mile trip. Truth is it was likely making noise before and I never noticed. Almost at the midpoint of the trip the bearing showed its ugly head and tried to make me have a come to jesus moment. As i was going down the 2 lane county highway at 55mph...or so. The hub would try to lock up on drivers side and the steering would immediately try to jerk to the left...into oncoming traffic. I drove it carefully and fairly slower to my destination where my Brother in law worked at a tranny shop and we got it on the lift and pulled the tire. Here is where the comedy comes in... Immediately after the tire came off, ball bearings started dropping out of the hub bearing!!! This was a 99 GMC Sierra Z71 3 door. Dont know how it managed to make it there with that all happening on the lift!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap