Where's the bass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gcletsos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I'm a new member and I love this site. I have a 2001 Yukon with the stock 9-speaker stereo with sub-woofer and Onstar without Bose. It has a CD player in the head unit and a cassette in the center console.
All of my speakers are working, but i am getting very little bass and lots of distortion from them.
Also, the factory tweeters in the front doors don't seem to be working at all. Could all the speakers be blown or does it sound like an amp problem?
Also, what size are the speakers in the very back corners of the cargo area?
Thanks in advance for any help.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like they are blown. is it still distorted when you play a CD?

you can very affordable put all new speakers in. there is no amp since you have no bose. you have the same stereo that in my truck. i just replaced all the speakers and removed the stock sub and installed my 12" and amp. non of my stock speakers were blown and i still have a huge difference in sound quality now. cant wait for my head unit. i took a peak at the rear speakers. i think they are just tweeters. i dont think i will bother messing with mine unless someone chimes in and says it does make a noticable difference.

justin146

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I'm a new member and I love this site. I have a 2001 Yukon with the stock 9-speaker stereo with sub-woofer and Onstar without Bose. It has a CD player in the head unit and a cassette in the center console.
All of my speakers are working, but i am getting very little bass and lots of distortion from them.
Also, the factory tweeters in the front doors don't seem to be working at all. Could all the speakers be blown or does it sound like an amp problem?
Also, what size are the speakers in the very back corners of the cargo area?
Thanks in advance for any help.

With the stock stereo, I had to turn the bass all the way up and the trebble below halfway for it to sound normal. If it is like my truck, the tweeters may bave broken off the doorpanel and fell in the door.

The subwoofer and rearmost tweeters are powered by the amp that is behind the glove box. Pretty much all of the bass comes from the subwoofer (even the midbass). If the surround of the sub is torn, you wont get any bass out of it. The first upgrade I did on my stereo was to take the factory sub out of the tiny sealed box and put it in a ported Q-logic .63 ft^3 box. You would be surprised how hard the stock sub will hit when in a larger box.

OP
OP
G

gcletsos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The sound when the CD is playing is the same. Any recommendations on speakers. I don't want to spend a lot of money. I think 6 1/2's fit in both the front and rear doors. I was thinking possibly going component in the front door since they already have the holes for the tweeters.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly what i did. check out sonicelectronix.com

the cheapest place in town for all the name brand stuff. i used kicker DS650 componenets in the front and DS650 coaxels in the rear door.

and yes 6.5 is the size.

and just and FYI, the front stock woofer mount didnt work with my new speakers so i just screwed them straight to the door. the rears will work. just remove the hex screws and pry the stock speaker out. there is a bead of silicone you need to break. the new speakers fit right in the the mount holes lined up. made for very easy rear door install.

OP
OP
G

gcletsos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Justin. Where did you get the Q-logic box?

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Thanks Jason. I'll check it out.

justin146

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Justin. Where did you get the Q-logic box?

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Thanks Jason. I'll check it out.

I bought it for like $20 on eBay. If you replace the front speakers, keep in mind that they still aren't going to produce any bass. The only way to get bass in the front stage is to add a console sub, or to replace the headunit and bypass the stock amp. This will also bypass the subwoofer.

WrenchGuy

WrenchGuy
Reaction score
Get CDT Audio for those doors!

vertexaudio.com tell Mike WrenchGuy sent you!

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought it for like $20 on eBay. If you replace the front speakers, keep in mind that they still aren't going to produce any bass. The only way to get bass in the front stage is to add a console sub, or to replace the headunit and bypass the stock amp. This will also bypass the subwoofer.

is there a stock mids and high amp on the non bose stereos? is it part of the head unit itself? i saw what looked like an amp on the side of the stock stereo when i removed it to install the remote wire.

justin146

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
is there a stock mids and high amp on the non bose stereos? is it part of the head unit itself? i saw what looked like an amp on the side of the stock stereo when i removed it to install the remote wire.

The door speakers are powered by the head unit. The front speakers run through an amplifier where it filters the lows out and amplifies them for the subwoofer. The amplifier also powers the rear pillar tweeters. If you open the glove box, you can see the amplifier behind it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvaz2000