Which shocks to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needing new front and rear shocks on my 03 rear wheel drive Tahoe. I don’t really want to spend a tone on them. I saw a set of 4 ACdelco gas charged shocks for around $190. I tend to stay away from super cheap ones like Duralast. Just want something that’s gonna give me a comfortable ride like it was when it was new and not spend a time. I’m just a daily driver. Mostly decent roads, sometimes towing on occasion.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Are those Delcos generic or specific to your vehicle? I always go with what was made for my truck and stay away from generic parts if possible. Better ride, longer lasting.

OP
OP
D

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
Do your RPO codes include ZW7 and G65? If so, that's the Premium Smooth Ride suspension.

If no G65, then you don't have the self-leveling Nivomat shocks in the rear.
Looks like mine has both. So I need premium smooth ride suspension?
Do your RPO codes include ZW7 and G65? If so, that's the Premium Smooth Ride suspension.

IMG_7708.jpeg

OP
OP
D

diezelraccoon

Reaction score

I’m having trouble finding rear shocks KYB brand. All the ones I find are saying except Z55 and non smooth ride.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like mine has both. So I need premium smooth ride suspension?

View attachment 431931
The confusing subject..... " Premium Smooth Ride" / ZW7 - code.... GM made different versions. The additional RPO code, or NO additional code, determines which VERSION of the "Premium Smooth Ride" shocks and SPRINGS you have.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I gather..... the ZW7 / G65 ' manual self leveling" ( Nivomat) ... SHOULD be described as the "tow package" ? Since a heavier weight use, requires the leveling needs....( along with the air-assist G69 package)

CONFUSING descriptions: and the list is in front of your eyes.

Attachments

• RPO codes shocks.jpg
    RPO codes shocks.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 4

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m having trouble finding rear shocks KYB brand. All the ones I find are saying except Z55 and non smooth ride.

From the www.kyb.com/catalog:

Capture.JPG

For anything, stay away from the Excel-G shocks -- get the Gas-a-Just or better.

How long have you had this SUV, and can you tell if the PSR shocks in the rear were converted to standard shocks? That conversion can be done if the rear coil springs are done at the same time.

1720372390569.png

Rock Auto has the PSR Nivomat replacement shocks under the GM Genuine and KYB brands.

What do your current shocks look like, and do the springs still have the tags on them? Here's what the OE Nivomat shocks look like. They're quite a bit fatter (more girth) than standard shocks.

Nivomat shock1 small.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maverick803