Wix v NAPA Gold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious as to what the efficiency ratings of those are. For example, I use K&N Gold filters, which according to that have the best Micron rating...but I have no idea what the efficiency is at that size. Micron rating is pretty useless without efficiency rating.

What info are you after? I don't understand how you're defining "efficiency". The chart shows relative restrictions of oil flow volume, and oil pressure.

joe

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting the Delco had the lowest pressure. But with those pressures being 2x normal pressure, would the difference be greater or lesser at 40psi?

And whats the best air filter?

DamThatRiver24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What info are you after? I don't understand how you're defining "efficiency". The chart shows relative restrictions of oil flow volume, and oil pressure.

joe
It shows a Micron rating for those filters, but doesn't indicate whether it's nominal or absolute, and doesn't give an efficiency rating...so we're not actually given a true efficiency.

A quick Google search can further explain what I mean: https://www.ecogard.com/resources/articles/truth-about-oil-filter-micron-ratings/

So yea...again, I'm just mildly curious about the actual efficiency values. (I suppose I could dig it up on my own, but I'm lazy lol.)

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shows a Micron rating for those filters, but doesn't indicate whether it's nominal or absolute, and doesn't give an efficiency rating...so we're not actually given a true efficiency.

A quick Google search can further explain what I mean: https://www.ecogard.com/resources/articles/truth-about-oil-filter-micron-ratings/

So yea...again, I'm just mildly curious about the actual efficiency values. (I suppose I could dig it up on my own, but I'm lazy lol.)

I believe what you're looking for is in the youtube videos. they use a lab clean oil that's the same viscosity at room temperature as the oil we use is at 200deg and then run different sizes particles thru them for a set time, pull a sample and send it to a lab. and then list how much if each size is left in the oil.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting the Delco had the lowest pressure. But with those pressures being 2x normal pressure, would the difference be greater or lesser at 40psi?

And whats the best air filter?

less volume flowing thru, less pressure lose but as shown in the test rig at the youtube videos. any normal filter is in bypass by 70psi worth of flow and isn't doing crap. so I would bet that pressure difference is in how well the bypass valve is designed. they really should have shown the pressure gauge before and after the filter along with the psi at 10,20,30,40 ect. so you can see the pressure drop.. engine masters is a motortrend TV shill show I believe. just like all the old magazines we grew up reading. they got parts for free if they could come up with test combos that would show them in a good lights. which is why they always pushed low flowing low rpm. tq cylinder heads, till the ls came out and proved hp at high rpm is faster and requires head flow. a stock 1997 ls1 cylinder head flows more than the aftermarket Edelbrock sbc heads hotrod mag pushed on everyone for years. truth is everything Edelbrock sold was middle of the road as best.

ugh rant/ haha.

my opinion based on very little, best air filter for dry, not k&n oiled, high flow but still good filtering dry is the Donaldson power core ones..

Img_2024_09_26_09_49_31.jpeg

used in industrial setting and gm used them on the 500hp ls7. to me it's best trade off. k&n might flow better, but you're relying on the oil to filter, which does seem to work thou. there's no air straighten effect with most filters that these new card style gm maf sensors seem to need.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone should ask Lake Speed Jr.

if have to go back and look but I believe when he shows his personal cars like the Toyota with the 0w8 he uses oem filters. when they have a dyno engine in the back ground they are going to run a constant high rpm 2 hour oil test on its a xp filter.

but that's is interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertrjoliver