Wix v NAPA Gold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was half-joking asking what's the best air filter, because people get tired of the best oil/filter thread :)
I don't trust oiled air filters with a MAF sensor.. worry oil might coat the sensor over time.

I used to have this foam HKS brand air filter (oiled foam).
Didn't like it because
A) the pores seemed too large to filter well (not the same as the K&N I know)
B) the filter just feels like an oily sponge which you need to clean

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I take this with a grain of salt. While some manufacturers' filter models are indicated, others are just the brand. Most brands have multiple models so for this to mean anything to me, the model details need to be disclosed. Unless, of course, all filters by one brand are identical.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take this with a grain of salt. While some manufacturers' filter models are indicated, others are just the brand. Most brands have multiple models so for this to mean anything to me, the model details need to be disclosed. Unless, of course, all filters by one brand are identical.

yes, I believe you could take 2 different part numbers of the same brand and run the same tests and get different results.

lucky ls don't really have filter issues like some of the German cars do.

this is all nonsense. just keep the oil fresh.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shows a Micron rating for those filters, but doesn't indicate whether it's nominal or absolute, and doesn't give an efficiency rating...so we're not actually given a true efficiency.

A quick Google search can further explain what I mean: https://www.ecogard.com/resources/articles/truth-about-oil-filter-micron-ratings/

So yea...again, I'm just mildly curious about the actual efficiency values. (I suppose I could dig it up on my own, but I'm lazy lol.)

I think, maybe, your thinking's a bit lazy, in this case.

It's only a 30 minute show, sharing advertised filter [micron] ratings.

Are you wanting them to measure each perforation? And then, maybe, average the hole size findings? Should one filter score better because its holes' edges have cleaner cuts? Should they have remeasured the perforations, post tests, to see if any holes had been made larger, either by pressure or by debris?

joe

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just as 1 picture of a chart conveys limited info, 1 30 minute [closer to 22 minutes when commercials are factored out] episode of a comparison test of 9 product samples, has to be limited.

But- find the episode and watch it. More/most of your questions are answered.

joe

DamThatRiver24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think, maybe, your thinking's a bit lazy, in this case.

It's only a 30 minute show, sharing advertised filter [micron] ratings.

Are you wanting them to measure each perforation? And then, maybe, average the hole size findings? Should one filter score better because its holes' edges have cleaner cuts? Should they have remeasured the perforations, post tests, to see if any holes had been made larger, either by pressure or by debris?

joe
Yikes, dude.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just as 1 picture of a chart conveys limited info, 1 30 minute [closer to 22 minutes when commercials are factored out] episode of a comparison test of 9 product samples, has to be limited.

But- find the episode and watch it. More/most of your questions are answered.

joe

I don't have any questions about it; I'm happy with the filters I use. But thanks for the recommendation to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertrjoliver