You guys know how I ride... (Z71 Bumpstops inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max, what's your hub to fender measure? Do you have full height Z71 jounce stops?

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Yeah they are full height, no idea on the hub to fender but I'm 31.5" ground to fender.

alxs210

Reaction score
GM calls them jounce stops, they effectively create a progressive supplement to the torsion bar at the end of it's cycle. I drilled a total of 10 holes in my z71 stops and must say the ride quality is the best I've experienced at the current height with my 22s.

What size holes did you drill?

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the proper adjustment should be on my torsion bars, with a 305/40/22 and 2" shock extenders? I've got some new bumps stops coming and I'd like to know I got it right, if possible.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya im still on stocks and they dont even touch my djm arms...whats the fix for this? i have a few inches before they are even close, and this thing rides like shit

OP
OP
A

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the proper adjustment should be on my torsion bars, with a 305/40/22 and 2" shock extenders? I've got some new bumps stops coming and I'd like to know I got it right, if possible.

The best advice I can give is to loosen them as much as you dare and let it ride on the bump stops. That will give you a good starting point as the bump stop will be the "spring". Once you decide you don't like it, tighten up the torsion bars until the torsion bar has enough spring rate to work with the bump stops to give the ride you like. I hate to give you a general only because everyone has different preferences and the best ride is the one you like.

ya im still on stocks and they dont even touch my djm arms...whats the fix for this? i have a few inches before they are even close, and this thing rides like shit

Nick, those arms re-index your torsion bars, right? I would guess you have little effective spring rate in your torsion bar, like adding a 3" drop key to your stock arm. Any pics of your bumpstops with the suspension under load? I think the Z71 stops might be a little taller and could def help once installed.

On another note, I put about 120 miles on my truck today, mostly on the southern California freeways. The one thing I noticed is that the rear makes a lot of noise. I'm guessing from the rear sway bar as I have the axle reloc kit which has done it's job but the sway bar reloc kit has not really worked as I would like. I am almost positive there is a bit of binding back there. I drove a few miles with a full load (8 adults) and bottomed out a couple times on severely off camber bumps and turns and can now see the value in helper bags. The front rode very well, there is a little bumpsteer and some overall slop but I attribute most of that to worn out front end components (another task to tackle). Overall a good experience but I am now anxious to put the truck on a 4-post so I can poke around under it while the front and rear suspensions are loaded to isolate some issues.

BTW, the rear roof rack cap on the passenger side disappeared off my truck somewhere :wtf:

Last edited:

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well to get the 3" drop from the arms, my keys are almost completely decranked..I wish I would have just gone with spindles and keys to get me at a 3"...there is like a 3-4" gap from the arms to bumpstops..and there is no "pad" on the arms for the bumpstop to rest on

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Don't give up just yet, I'll have a resolution once I install my arms in a few weeks. Got a couple tricks up my sleeve :D

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is to loosen them as much as you dare and let it ride on the bump stops. That will give you a good starting point as the bump stop will be the "spring". Once you decide you don't like it, tighten up the torsion bars until the torsion bar has enough spring rate to work with the bump stops to give the ride you like. I hate to give you a general only because everyone has different preferences and the best ride is the one you like.

What do you think about my 2" shock extenders? Shuold I just get rid of them? I want to level the front out (if possible), but ride quality is really the most important thing.

What would you do if you were me?.....................and thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchavez95

Latest posts