You guys know how I ride... (Z71 Bumpstops inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

godoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So front bumpstops have to be touching front control arm?
I have bumpstops but the slim bumptops like the ones I have in the rear of truck and their no where close to touching should their be bigger bumpstops up front??

OP
OP
A

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So front bumpstops have to be touching front control arm?
I have bumpstops but the slim bumptops like the ones I have in the rear of truck and their no where close to touching should their be bigger bumpstops up front??

Yes and yes

Yuko04

"SquareBODluvr"
Reaction score
Yes and yes

I gues I'm screwed because I cut the front stop and bracket clean off! Rides good,but now reading this worries me if it could be better,but I also have the same gap that Nick is talking about.......

OP
OP
A

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When Nick switched to the arms he felt the same as you: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=337184&postcount=66

A year later some ride quality issues have been exposed.

---

I suspect that what has been said many times before is the truth. These trucks need a bumpstop for the torsion bar to work properly. If you drive the truck for an extended period of time without any bumpstops, the bars lose their spring rate, begin to sag and are unable to control the weight of the truck, giving poor ride quality characteristics.

Last edited:

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When Nick switched to the arms he felt the same as you: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=337184&postcount=66

A year later some ride quality issues have been exposed.

---

I suspect that what has been said many times before is the truth. These trucks need a bumpstop for the torsion bar to work properly. If you drive the truck for an extended period of time without any bumpstops, the bars lose their spring rate, begin to sag and are unable to control the weight of the truck, giving poor ride quality characteristics.

Interesting theory. I guess that is why sometimes over wavy pavement the Tahoe feels like a boat in the water with the rocking back and forth from side to side. Didn't ever notice that before lowering it with the DJM arms. I attributed that boat-like feeling to not having the rear hardware kit. But then I've only been lowered for a couple weeks now.

I guess I'll need the longer Z71 bumpstops or some lowering keys (or both) to get the bumpstops sitting on the arms again,,,, hmmm.

Mike

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

I gues I'm screwed because I cut the front stop and bracket clean off! Rides good,but now reading this worries me if it could be better,but I also have the same gap that Nick is talking about.......

Energy suspension makes a ton of different sized bump stops ranging from 1" to like 5" tall. I'm sure they'll have one that would work for ya.

Mike

godoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and yes
My supposeably mechanic said " I shaved front bumpstops because they were touching" ???? Where can I get the z71 bumpstops? Or do they have to be z71?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't have to be Z71 stops but I prefer them. You can get them from the dealership.

godoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!
Does truck have to have the bracket it used to have to hold bumpstop? Cause its completely shaved off

Yuko04

"SquareBODluvr"
Reaction score
Thanks!!
Does truck have to have the bracket it used to have to hold bumpstop? Cause its completely shaved off

My question also........

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Interesting theory. I guess that is why sometimes over wavy pavement the Tahoe feels like a boat in the water with the rocking back and forth from side to side. Didn't ever notice that before lowering it with the DJM arms. I attributed that boat-like feeling to not having the rear hardware kit. But then I've only been lowered for a couple weeks now.

I guess I'll need the longer Z71 bumpstops or some lowering keys (or both) to get the bumpstops sitting on the arms again,,,, hmmm.

Mike

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Energy suspension makes a ton of different sized bump stops ranging from 1" to like 5" tall. I'm sure they'll have one that would work for ya.

Mike

Thanks MIKE! Good info....you to Alex......Wonder if i should order drop keys or just stay with stock ones.....i've spent about $1500 on suspension from Tony....mise well keep going huh????:emotions122:

OP
OP
A

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!

I think you might be able to drill a hole in the frame where the mount was, thread a bolt through the top, then thread the bumpstop onto that.

My question also........

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Thanks MIKE! Good info....you to Alex......Wonder if i should order drop keys or just stay with stock ones.....i've spent about $1500 on suspension from Tony....mise well keep going huh????:emotions122:

I am curious to see how those arms will work with drop keys. I haven't seen anyone try that. I suspect that would "uncoil" the torsion bar to almost nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchavez95

Latest posts