You guys know how I ride... (Z71 Bumpstops inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start with 4 at ~3/16-1/4" in size. If that doesn't do it, do 4 more. Max did 8 on the Z71 stops he pictured but that seems like a lot of material to remove right away. I figure if the first 4 don't do the trick, you can always take a little more away.

I'm going to do 4 to start and I'll add more if necessary. Nothing will happen until after this weekend though.

2005SnowKon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may do that on Monday, I don't feel like bringing the Kon in the shop. Just wanna go have a cold beer after this hot day we are having in Colorado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok all this bumpstop talk got my mind going (like every other good technical thread on this site) so today i took a peek under my truck. to my dismay, i saw that my bumpstops - front and rear - are almost non-existant. the truck is currently stock height, but im lowering soon, **** a belltech 2 and 3/4. do i need to be worried with this drop? i was considering doing the free travel mod in the rear because what i have seen it looks like i wont have much travel without it, but in the front should i be concerned?

OP
OP
A

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have anything to worry about. Just keep it as an option if the setup doesn't ride the way you'd like once it's dialed in.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, drilled z71 stops are still good and comfortable, but gives to ride quality? What do you mean by that? Interested in the results of all this. As I have untrimmed z71 stops. Handles great, but little jarring as you said. If drilling holes is worth it and makes bumps a little smoother, than im for it.

Just curious about the loss of ride quality?

OP
OP
A

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thinking is that drilling the stops creates a more progressive feel. I haven't done it on my truck yet, but I have been doing some reading and that's what I've gathered from the comments of those who have drilled their stops.

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so with more drop, do our trucks ride on the bumps constantly? or is it just because of the reduced clearence that it comes into play a lot more than at stock height?

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so with more drop, do our trucks ride on the bumps constantly? or is it just because of the reduced clearence that it comes into play a lot more than at stock height?

At stock height they ride on them. So they need to be trimmed some when lowering at all. And drilling the holes make them more progressive like someone else said. Ive had mine trimmed and drilled for well over a year now. But im going to spindles from keys soon so im going to have to get some new ones since mine will be too short.

But they aren't actually stops they are jounce bumpers or some other technical word.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
GM calls them jounce stops, they effectively create a progressive supplement to the torsion bar at the end of it's cycle. I drilled a total of 10 holes in my z71 stops and must say the ride quality is the best I've experienced at the current height with my 22s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchavez95

Latest posts