Yukon AC belt install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just recently got my Yukon serviced and had the mechanic bring up a few issues. Some of them I will have to get them to handle but I was hoping I would be able to handle the AC belt

First, I have an AC belt that is cracked and not working well. The AC doesn't run very well so hopefully this is the reason. I searched the forums but I couldn't find anyone that had replaced this before. I'd like to do this myself to save some money but I can hold off on it if I have to.

Also, did the 2001 yukons have chips in the keys? I only have one key so I need to get a new one made. The dealer quoted like 50-60 bucks. Is that what I should expect? The closest GM dealership is on the coast in an upper class area so they always seem to overprice everything

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to check the cabin filters also. i thought i needed my a/c recharged but when i cleaned out the filters it was night and day difference. they are under the cover, passenger side. the cover has 4 bolts, 7mm and the filter door just unclips and swings out of the way. there are 2 filters so be sure to pull both and clean or replace

djohnson1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the ac belt can be done yourself but it will probably make you mad the first time you do it. once you get to the belt and unload the tension slide the belt off the back side of the tensioner (towards the motor). you can try going forward but it aint goin to work too well. gettin it back on is the hard part and youll swear you got the wrong belt. start by putting the belt around the crank pulley first then around the ac pulley. then you can unload the tension and slide the belt over the tensioner. it will take a couple of tries but trust me this is the best way to attack it.

and i dont think 01 had encoded keys. atleast mine doesnt

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it easier to route around crank pulley and tensioner, then release tension and slide over AC pulley. Of course, I have efans, so I can do it from the top with little effort. It is tight when first going on, but not too bad.

If you don't have efans, it's probably easier to do from the bottom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sprocket-707

Latest posts