My Stereo and Sub Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCTahoe

Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to quickly show you guys my install I did myself on my 2011 Tahoe! I picked up the truck in the last couple of weeks and quickly found that the factory sub wasn't cutting it. Also the lack of bluetooth streaming for music was a real bummer since my last BMW had it. The truck had factory Nav, back up cam, rear DVD and Bose. I installed a Pioneer head unit and JL subwoofer.

Parts I used:
Pioneer SPH-DA120 Head Unit
JL 10W3v3-4 10" Subwoofer
Sound Ordnance Sub Box
Axxess SWC-1 kit (steering wheel controls)
Axxess GMOS-LAN-02 kit (Onstar and all other features)
Axxess GMRSAV kit (Rear Video Integration)
Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 Amplifier
Various wiring for amp and subwoofer

Overall the install took me around 3.5-4 hours to do all the connections and run the wiring. It wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be! First up was the head unit install. Making the connections was straight forward. The steering wheel controls worked great at first then died after 15-20 minutes of usage. I took the dash back apart and checked all the connections and re-assembled and it's working again with no hiccups. Here's the finished product:
IMG_2944 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

I ran two USB cables from my head unit. One to the lower left cigarette outlet on the dash, second to the factory USB input in the center console. I placed the Amp Gain controller in the center console in front of the cup holders for easy access.
Untitled by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

I also ran my GPS and microphone leads. The GPS receiver was placed on the dash in the middle and the microphone was on the driver's A-pillar. I'm looking for suggestions of other places to mount it though as I think it is too tacky looking there and would love to find a cleaner install location!

Next I ran all the wires for the amp. The leads and controller wire from the headunit were run through the center console, under the passenger's dash and down the passenger side of the vehicle and then were run across to the driver's side behind the second row captain's chairs. The power wire was run from the battery to the large grommet in the engine bay on the driver's side by the steering column. From there it was run down the driver's side to the amp. The ground was run under the carpet to a spot where I filed the paint off to bare metal for a clean ground. Here is the finished amp install. I may clean up the wires a bit more.
IMG_2945 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr
IMG_2946 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr
IMG_2947 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Then sub was placed in the back behind the passenger's rear seat.
IMG_2948 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

The 3rd row does NOT fit with this particular box which is kind of a bummer but it does fit in between the second row seats so I can always put it there if I need the 3rd row which I rarely, if ever, will use.
The system sound great! Really happy with it. I will most likely end up doing speakers later but for now this is good.

The Pioneer unit is awesome as well. I was between this and the NEX series units. The main differences were that this unit has a better touch interface (until you get to the 7100,8100) and the NEX has a CD/DVD player. I don't remember the last time I used a CD so I opted for this one which was also cheaper. Plus I like that it doesn't have physical buttons on it that stick out which I personally don't like. The interface is great and carplay is cool as well. I just wish it worked with Google Maps on my iPhone instead of apple maps.

Hope this was helpful to someone out there. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice.

Are you going to hide the amp wires any better?

OP
OP
NCTahoe

NCTahoe

Reaction score
nice.

Are you going to hide the amp wires any better?

That's the plan. This was the first variation of install. I just need to find the best way to do it. Open to suggestions!

I was toying with the idea of putting the amp under the center console but would have to figure out how to do it. Probably have to take the bose sub out.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can lave the amp there, run the wires under the carpet and come out where the seat hinges are.

mlgreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious, why did you run a GPS antenna? I was under the impression that this unit doesn't have gps built in and simply uses the maps from an iPhone when it's plugged in.

OP
OP
NCTahoe

NCTahoe

Reaction score
Curious, why did you run a GPS antenna? I was under the impression that this unit doesn't have gps built in and simply uses the maps from an iPhone when it's plugged in.

The head unit doesn't have built in GPS but when your phone is plugged into CarPlay the antenna works in conjunction with you phone to boost GPS signal so basically you have much better GPS service even if you don't have cell service. That's how it was explained to me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacblev