07 XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
there is a level control module also check that. it should be up under the frame in the rear, if you google a little you will see where it is located and what it looks like, should have a wide wire harness, triple row
should look just like this one

I will check that when I get a chance to lift it up and get underneath lol.

I did mess it with it some more today. I jumped the relay connection (battery to the blue wire). both compressors worked in that configuration lol (ran for 30-40 seconds no problem). only 1 turns on for self test with key on though, and neither work via the tech2 scanner.

I dont see any bad wiring visible at either rear shock, or at the connection for the pump.

What does 'xx damper actuator comm' representing(in the tech2 scanner)? All 4 shocks show 0%, I connected one of the new shocks, and it stayed at 0% even after pumping air into it, and I tried depressing the shock as well .

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will check that when I get a chance to lift it up and get underneath lol.

I did mess it with it some more today. I jumped the relay connection (battery to the blue wire). both compressors worked in that configuration lol (ran for 30-40 seconds no problem). only 1 turns on for self test with key on though, and neither work via the tech2 scanner.

I dont see any bad wiring visible at either rear shock, or at the connection for the pump.

What does 'xx damper actuator comm' representing(in the tech2 scanner)? All 4 shocks show 0%, I connected one of the new shocks, and it stayed at 0% even after pumping air into it, and I tried depressing the shock as well .
The % is how much the shock is activated while driving to compensate for the road conditions, so when say you hit a small pothole or a speed bump the shock fluid is electrified to smooth out the ride.that works in conjunction with the ride height sensors. At least that is my understanding of how it works. I suspect you might have a issue with that level control module if the texh2 is not talking to the pump. There might be a ohm test for the module or something it might take some digging I've never had any issues with mine just bad pumps so never had to troubleshoot the module

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
The % is how much the shock is activated while driving to compensate for the road conditions, so when say you hit a small pothole or a speed bump the shock fluid is electrified to smooth out the ride.that works in conjunction with the ride height sensors. At least that is my understanding of how it works. I suspect you might have a issue with that level control module if the texh2 is not talking to the pump. There might be a ohm test for the module or something it might take some digging I've never had any issues with mine just bad pumps so never had to troubleshoot the module
So the rear shocks should show 0% when I'm not driving essentially?

I'm suspecting the level control module as well now. This is what i was worried would happen trying to stick with the factory air ride lol.

Any idea where i could get a level control module besides dealer (I'm on a budget)

May just go with full passive susp if I can't solve it myself.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the rear shocks should show 0% when I'm not driving essentially?

I'm suspecting the level control module as well now. This is what i was worried would happen trying to stick with the factory air ride lol.

Any idea where i could get a level control module besides dealer (I'm on a budget)

May just go with full passive susp if I can't solve it myself.
well first thing I would do is look at it and check the harness and even if it looks ok maybe try some crc contact cleaner and see if anything changes,
if not then note the part number on it (any replacement should be the same part number) and either check the local junk yard or grab a used one off of ebay.
A replacement will need to be learned to the vin but the tech2 should be able to do that, presumning it see's it.
I do not know on these modules if it has to be the exact same part number like a srs module, but for sanity I would say it probably has to match
I tried to look and see if there is additional troubleshooting to test the module, I found this one reference it does not state a year/make/model but it is from 2010
but the information might help to check it

and I found a 2007 level control factory diagnostic (pdf) on scribd which has ad's but it shows all the pin outs and what kind of voltage and ohm's, etc you should have

hopefully one of these helps

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
well first thing I would do is look at it and check the harness and even if it looks ok maybe try some crc contact cleaner and see if anything changes,
if not then note the part number on it (any replacement should be the same part number) and either check the local junk yard or grab a used one off of ebay.
A replacement will need to be learned to the vin but the tech2 should be able to do that, presumning it see's it.
I do not know on these modules if it has to be the exact same part number like a srs module, but for sanity I would say it probably has to match
I tried to look and see if there is additional troubleshooting to test the module, I found this one reference it does not state a year/make/model but it is from 2010
but the information might help to check it

and I found a 2007 level control factory diagnostic (pdf) on scribd which has ad's but it shows all the pin outs and what kind of voltage and ohm's, etc you should have

hopefully one of these helps

I pulled it down, cleaned connections etc. No change after that. The module is supposed to be riveted to to a mount, the rivets failed and I was able to remove it as soon as I touched it. I'm guessing that much vibration etc could damage it?

Weather has been crappy when I've had free time its been raining. I'll search for a good price on a module. PN# I got off it was 15095294. No idea how to use the tech2 to learn it though. I did not do the wiring troubleshooting stuff.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’ll betcha the guts are all corroded inside the module. Are there any tabs you can pull open to inspect it?

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
I’ll betcha the guts are all corroded inside the module. Are there any tabs you can pull open to inspect it
nah, it seems to be sealed. just the mount was broken off. so it was just the silver part and the connector.

Attachments

• 41qOI0wbAeL._AC_SL1280_.jpg
    41qOI0wbAeL._AC_SL1280_.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
just got my used level control module in the mail. I thought I could use the tech 2 to reprogram it but it seems I need something else to do so? Help?! lol

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
I plugged the level control module in. compressor turns on and stays on now (until it shuts off I'm assuming for heat reasons), then turns back on after a wait time. Both new pumps do this.

Does a level control module that was a used part(got it from ebay, same part#) NEED to be programmed? or be reprogrammed etc (seems only a dealer can do this now??).

If i turn the exh valve to 'on' it shuts off the compressor(exh valve clicks etc). on/off with the compressor function of the tech 2 still doesn't seem to do anything though.

worried that if I just install everything since its 'working' now(keeps cycling the compressor on), it may not shut off and potentially pop the new shocks? any input? lol. Do I just install the compressors and shocks and hope for the best?

@Doubeleive
@Joseph Garcia

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
captainmal425