2003 Tahoe With Auto Ride Needs New Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 03 Tahoe that has Auto Ride. The display is reading "service ride control", so I took a look and both shocks are leaking. I have 100,000 on the truck, so I want to do the front and the back at the same time. I have been looking searching old post here and think that I want to go with the Blistein's. Could those of you with them share your setups and part numbers?

Thanks,
Justin

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Head over to eshocks.com and punch in your vehicle info, and the ones that fit will pop up. I ran 5100s on the Yukon with a mild lift and was very happy with them. Coming from four blown oem shocks, the billies were a huge step up. A set of 4 is a little over $300 + shipping IIRC.

newdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 03 Tahoe that has Auto Ride. The display is reading "service ride control", so I took a look and both shocks are leaking. I have 100,000 on the truck, so I want to do the front and the back at the same time. I have been looking searching old post here and think that I want to go with the Blistein's. Could those of you with them share your setups and part numbers?

Thanks,
Justin

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid15_pid95.html

OP
OP

2003Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you both for the link!!! I really appreciate this info; this is what I was looking for.

swerve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Arnott has listings for the same stuff on Ebay as well. You can get the whole rear system for $499 (free s/h)... includes shocks, sensors, compressor and dryer kit. My stock system is leaking too - was glad to see your post and the responses about Arnott and the Bilsteins.

I do a bit of towing with my '06 Denali (31' camper and a pretty tongue-heavy box trailer). Do these systems have failsafes that allow the air to escape if overloaded, or is that a sign that the system is just tired? There have been times that the system has pumped up, I'll drive a couple blocks and get out to check on something and I'll hear a "PUHAAAAAA" from the rear system. If I turn off the truck and restart, the system pumps back up again. I've always been curious about that.

Will these Bilsteins be a heavier duty setup overall?

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Arnott's products, but in my experience gas charged shocks are more reliable than any compressed air setup just because there are fewer failure points - no air lines to rupture, fittings to leak, compressors to burn out, etc. That's not to say that the Arnott setup isn't any good - if you install it properly I'd imagine it will last a good long time. Me personally, I'd add Bilstein 5100s, Z71 coils and if you still get sag, add some coil spacers. You'll lose some ride comfort over something as plush as the air shocks, but it's less money up front (cheaper setup and much simpler install) and more reliable in the long term IMO. Just my two pennies.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to the dealership today to price out new front and rear OEM shocks, direct replacement, and it was painful and funny at the same time!!

Fronts :$589.72/each
Backs: $634.16/each
Compressor: $508.48

Let's just say that the parts guy and myself got a good laugh at the numbers!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou