2003 Tahoe With Auto Ride Needs New Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, happy to help. Hope the suspension updating goes well.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too, I hope it goes well considering even if I ordered the kit tomorrow I wouldn't have time to install it all before I go to the dunes next weekend!! My denali is gonna have a sagging problem for sure!! :Boo:

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt

OEM does have electronic dampening on the front just not auto leveling. Thats why there is a wire connected to your shocks. Arrnott doesn't offer them because there is nothing special about the elec shock except for the price and they cant reproduce them because they don't have the OK from GM. I believe Delco is the only company that can reproduce them (legally) to work with their system thats why they are so expensive. Thats why the aftermarket bilstein rears do not have the elec dampening only the airshock.

They give you resistors with the bilstiens to fool your ECM (auto dampening system) into thinking you still have 2 OEM shocks on the rear. Same thing that you would do if you were going to put regular bilstein 5100's or any air shock on them. They just bump up the price because they think your too stupid to do your homework or have a place like this to get info from others.

Ahhh, I see, THANKS! That will save a couple of us a ton of money! I heard of using a standard shock and fooling the system, but I did not realize thats what Arnott was doing to the front. I would have been mad (more at myself) to spend that kind of money only to realize I was over riding a system that I thought I was paying a premium to keep.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

My dad can get pretty killer deals on GM OEM stuff through his work so trying to figure out what path I wanna do! Thinking about doing the rear reman OEM shocks and compressor package deal on Ebay and buying OEM fronts from my dads work, that way I still have the factory dampening option in the shocks!

That seems like the way to go, if you want the factory ride. I have a GM connection, but for now, since my system is fine (I think the shocks are a little worn) I am going wait.
I am wondering if dealer cost (or a little over) is less than the Arnott rear rebuilts?
Let us know how it goes!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered Arnott's rebuilt rear air shocks as well as their compressor off ebay this morning and should see them next monday!! Hoping that next weekend I can get them installed and will report back on my findings!! Thought about doing bags on my truck but this stock setup has worked great for me for the 4 years I've owned the truck and I know they were the originals, plus the cost of a good bag setup kinda turned me off on the idea and the Arnott shocks have a full replacement lifetime warranty for as long as I own the truck!! Just need to get this thing fixed, taking the toyhauler to the dunes this weekend and having to really crank down on the bars because the compressor was shot wasn't my idea of fun!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my Arnott rear air shocks and compressor installed today, talk about a huge difference!! Crazy how someone can get used to worn out stuff and notice a huge difference when they replace it!! Compressor is so much quieter than my old one and the new shocks even sit higher in the rear than the old worn out ones!! Glad I went the route of Arnott, everything was easy to install and seems to be of great quality, now to just see the longevity of them!!
If anyone plans on replacing their compressor, be prepared on breaking all 3 mounting screws for they are tiny and more than likely rusted in place!! All I did was drilled out the broken screws and used others in its place. Rebuilding the dryer was the only thing I was worried about but it was super easy and the directions to do it were awesome and very detailed!! Installing the shocks were a walk in the park!! All in all, it took me a couple of hours and the only reason it took me that long was I was mainly tired from just working out before the install!! Lifetime warranty on the shocks and 1 year on the compressor if anyone wanted to know!!

Arnott1.jpg

Arnott2.jpg

Arnott3.jpg

Arnott4.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today was the first day I hooked up my not so light super light toyhauler to my denali with the new shocks and compressor, and let me tell you I am very happy!! They worked awesome, they don't level out with my trailer on without the bars (even though they are trying), that's not what I was after anyways, but when I put the bars on it took less effort to tighten them so I know the shocks were working better than my old worn out ones!! Best of all, the truck sat for half an hour while dumping the tanks on the trailer and doing a few other things with the motor off and they didn't sag or bleed off at all, even the air compressor didn't have to kick on when I started up the truck!! So glad I went this route.......so far!! :)

gcletsos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just put new Monroe Relexes on my 2001 Yukon with Autoride. $144 for all 4 shocks. To bypass the error codes all you need to do is disconnect negative terminal on battery. Then pull RTD Fuse. Then Disconnect the electrical connections on each shock. Replace with shocks of your choice. Then reconnect battery. That's it. You don't need any resistors or anything.

iksratis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New owner not sure if autoride needs replacing

Bought a used 03 Tahoe with the autoride and thought hearing the compressor kick on every time I started it was odd but local mechanic said it was normal. Towed a car trailer and moved to Cali from Wa and the Tahoe did great except the rear did sag a bit and the compressor seemed to be working hard. It was only connected for a couple days and havent towed since. I heard the compressor a few times after that but now it never turns on. The shocks seem worn in the front atleast (lots of bouncing over bumps and sway on highway). If my service light for the suspension isnt on then is there a problem? is there a way to test if the compressor is still functioning? Has 129000mi and runs amazing. I dont know much about the autoride system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100