2003 Tahoe With Auto Ride Needs New Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on Arnott's shocks and compressor but I have one question and interested in your opinions on the matter!!! They either sell a brand new bilstein rear air shock or a rebuilt OEM rear air shock, only difference is that the OEM has the electronic auto dampening while the brand new Bilstein does not!! Which would you guys do, there is only 10 bucks difference and the same warranty between the 2?

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

Also, anyone know where the fuse is for the compressor for my air ride, my denali is an '02 and I haven't had any luck so far searching on here for that answer!

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went to the dealership today to price out new front and rear OEM shocks, direct replacement, and it was painful and funny at the same time!!

Fronts :$589.72/each
Backs: $634.16/each
Compressor: $508.48

Let's just say that the parts guy and myself got a good laugh at the numbers!!

Not sure if they fit, but I have a set of air ride shocks off an 08 escalade for sale. Way lower than that price!! LOL

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on Arnott's shocks and compressor but I have one question and interested in your opinions on the matter!!! They either sell a brand new bilstein rear air shock or a rebuilt OEM rear air shock, only difference is that the OEM has the electronic auto dampening while the brand new Bilstein does not!! Which would you guys do, there is only 10 bucks difference and the same warranty between the 2?

Thats a good question! I have been thinking about replacing with Arnott's Bilsteins, as my stockers seem to be getting sloppy.
Your question leads me to another. They only offer the electronic damping shocks for the rear. So I wonder if the OEM shocks don't have that on the fronts, or if Arnott just doesn't offer them? I would hate to mix and match.
I guess I should give them a call in the week, they may know best.

Last edited:

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents and experience.

You are going to waste a lot of money replacing a system that is bound for failure. If any 1 part of the auto leveling goes out or screws up your shocks will blow or the compressor will burn up.:throw: As many ppl before me have said go with Z springs and Bilstien shocks. There is a reason they are giving this advise. You asked them why not take it. :shrug:

Look the reason you have the auto leveling system in the first place is because you have a Z55 LT( Denali's and Escalades are the same). It came with the weak LS springs, they made up for the lack of payload capacity with Auto leveling (the Airshocks and the compressor).
If you replace them with Z coils and better shocks you will have better payload capacity with no major failure points that will cost you 700 bucks to repair.:think:

That being said......

If you are hell bent on wasting your money and purchasing replacements. Go with the OEM. The reason is that your Auto ride system is a 2 part system. It has
1: Auto dampening: (This is not Auto leveling and is completely separate except for the rear shock) This is a ecm that tells the electronic shocks when to adjust for speed and rough or unlevel terrain or on curves. This has nothing to do with auto leveling. The only way it is connected to auto leveling is that the rear shocks are Air shocks with electronic dampening.

2. Auto leveling: (this is a simple system that is separate from Auto dampening) This uses leveling sensors ( simple 3" rods that have a trigger point) when your rear end goes below that trigger it turns on the compressor until it raises above the point. Then its supposed to turn off.

The front shocks are just electronic dampening shocks

The rear shocks from the factory were electronic air shocks that could be told by the ECM how to dampen and also could be adjusted by the Auto leveling.

This package was sold together as Auto Ride but is actually 2 separate systems. If your going to pay all this money to replace this weaker system do it with the OEM so that your Electronic dampening will still work. Otherwise your going to pay 700 bucks for a set of airshocks and you will have a check autoride light on your dash.

Still the best advise has been given dont waste your money replacing a in efficient system they sold as a add on package for wealthy ppl who just want to spend money for stuff they dont understand. The Z71 package was more durable and had a higher payload capacity. Just replace the Coils and shocks put resistors on the elec dampening wires and you have a much better hoe for about 350.00 that wont blow out or burn up. I've been there and done it. So have a lot of these guys.

or you could just go blow your money................:gayflag:

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Matt

OEM does have electronic dampening on the front just not auto leveling. Thats why there is a wire connected to your shocks. Arrnott doesn't offer them because there is nothing special about the elec shock except for the price and they cant reproduce them because they don't have the OK from GM. I believe Delco is the only company that can reproduce them (legally) to work with their system thats why they are so expensive. Thats why the aftermarket bilstein rears do not have the elec dampening only the airshock.

They give you resistors with the bilstiens to fool your ECM (auto dampening system) into thinking you still have 2 OEM shocks on the rear. Same thing that you would do if you were going to put regular bilstein 5100's or any air shock on them. They just bump up the price because they think your too stupid to do your homework or have a place like this to get info from others.

Last edited:

drewxjn

Reaction score
As puglia said if one part fails another is going to right behind it. I got my rear shocks from justsuspensionparts.com 68.and some change for the load adjuster ones.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I didn't tow a toy hauler I'd completely agree with not replacing air ride with air ride but since I can't add supplemental air bags to go with a standard shock setup because of the way the denali's are setup, I'm gonna go the replacement air ride route!! The air shocks work great on my denali for towing my towhauler, takes all the sag out of the rear without having to completely crank down the torsion bars on the trailer!! I'm agreeing about going the rebuilt OEM shocks over the non auto dampening shocks and will probably go that route!! Wish I could afford a good truck for towing but I can't so this is my best option as of now!! Thanks for your input everybody, I'll post up my findings and opinions on the setup with I get it installed and using it!!

One more question, if I were to change over to Z coils with the air ride, how much taller would the rear of my XL denali approx. sit up and would the ride quality be that much rougher?

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The z coils are not going to lift much maybe a .5". But if your just after airshocks go with a aftermarket airshock and put a compressor with either a remote or in cab setup. It's going to be cheaper all around you will get the same benefit and you won't have to worry about paying 600 -700 bucks for OEM. One of the main problems with the auto leveling is that the 400.00 compressor will burn up for multiple reasons. If you did it by remote or a switch in your cab it will stop that problem. Another reason is the outrageous price for the OEM air shocks their not as good as aftermarket air shocks tend to blow out and will once again cause your compressor to burn up.

Hell you can ditch the coils and all heavy duty bag your hoe for about 700.00 never have the problem again

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a tad late, but hopefully the OP can read it before he pulls the trigger on some remanufactured shocks. Monroe has a replacement shock, PT# 40034, for the Z55 trucks that runs about $250/ea. I replaced the ones on my Yukon with those and they are an excellent part. The fuse you are looking for to keep the compressor from running is the Real Time Damping (RTD) fuse under the hood.

Also, you mentioned you never heard the system release pressure. I'm not sure about all trucks, but I've noticed that with mine you can hear the system release pressure a little while after the load has been removed and the truck has been turned off.

Last edited:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are the shocks I'm looking at buying, either the new bilstein ones or their reman'ed OEM ones that they sell, I also like the fact that they are a lifetime warranty on them (that's also saying that if they are still in business if they ever fail!! :) ). I'm not looking for any taller riding spring so if that's all the Z ones will raise the rear, then I'm gonna have to look into those!! Do you know of a good place to buy those Matt? Was also thinking about putting the compressor on a switch as well Matt, that is indeed a good idea in case a shock blows or the compressor is having to work too hard!! Like I mentioned, I tow a tow hauler but it's not very often, but just enough to like having the air ride on my 1/2 ton denali!
Also, Arnott has a few package options on Ebay for the different shocks/ compressor options and I'm trying to figure out what all I want to buy from them to figure out what package deal I want!! My dad can get pretty killer deals on GM OEM stuff through his work so trying to figure out what path I wanna do! Thinking about doing the rear reman OEM shocks and compressor package deal on Ebay and buying OEM fronts from my dads work, that way I still have the factory dampening option in the shocks!

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid15_pid96.html

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Thanks for the confirmation on the fuse Alex33, I checked mine and the fuse was good so looks like the compressor finally died!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100