2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thought! But, it don't think it works that way. Or maybe it does? I guess if the other tube was targeting a widely different frequency, it'd work. Although, I'm inclined to think the resonator on a resonator would likely disrupt the movements of the waves in each tube and make both less effective. Besides, why would you branch off of one J-tube when you could just branch another J-tube off of the main trunk line?
limited space to put a branch off the main exhaust where it's 4" and I really don't want to have to do two equal length pipes on up at the Y pipe area. I don't think it's necessary but for conversation's sake, I thought it was an interesting point. I am so excited to hear this thing with the J pipe I can hardly wait!

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used that spectroid app the guy in the video suggested and got exactly what his excel spreadsheet guessed, 100hz at 1,500rpm. which means a 42" J tube, it's so odd the drone totally clears up at 1,700-2,050 but at 2,100 it creeps back just not as bad as at 1,500. Hopefully the 42" pipe will help at the higher rpm as well, I do have an idea to make a slip fitting and play with length a tad so that will be fun. Screenshot_20210714-064913_Spectroid.jpg

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used that spectroid app the guy in the video suggested and got exactly what his excel spreadsheet guessed, 100hz at 1,500rpm. which means a 42" J tube, it's so odd the drone totally clears up at 1,700-2,050 but at 2,100 it creeps back just not as bad as at 1,500. Hopefully the 42" pipe will help at the higher rpm as well, I do have an idea to make a slip fitting and play with length a tad so that will be fun. View attachment 344840
An exhaust trombone. Nice!

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add a cable to control it....:hands:
Power window motor, change notes as you drive...

Here Dan is being all serious and I come in and joke up the thread.

The adjustable thing is a pretty damn good idea. All you to fine tune with minimal effort and then when you get it where you want, just welder-up

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't be that adjustable! I just happen to have some 3" couplers, so I am going to fish mouth one and weld it directly to the pipe that way I can simply clamp on my J tubes and see how they sound. That way I can make the long 42" and I think I will have enough left over for a 24-32" which is about what I'd need to target the 2,100 rpm drone. It will be fun to collect some data on this and prove this theory to myself. I also have room for an additional pipe down the side of the Gibson so I'm sorta preparing for the possibility of a second pipe.

@iamdub What do you think about adding a pipe to the side of a muffler? The Gibson is not much more than a box with some tubular louvered baffles that IMO don't do a whole lot. I think space-wise it would be cake to add some different length tubes down the side of it tight hugging the case. Just not sure if the turbulence from the louvers would disrupt the sound waves (Probably the whole point to the design) and cause the wave length calculation to be off or less effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89

Latest posts