2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually just call them when the app won't let me do something.
Call them what Facktards?
ive got a 5.5>6" silicone coupler i needed to put

even if i did - i wouldnt take advice from me
Good advice
Canadian heritage. I like it. Sadly, I'm not fluent in the metric system:(

I'm no help in that department.

I'd make a cardboard template and use that as a guide then trim to fit so you aren't welding up a big gap.
Ewww don't tell people about that canadian thing

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call them what Facktards?

Good advice

Ewww don't tell people about that canadian thing

i dont need the coupler anymore, cause i had a 5.5 to 5.5 coupler that i stretched over the 6" velocity stack - nearly poked my eye out tho. i had the stack on my belly, the coupler went on like 5/8 of the way so i was prying it on the rest of the way with some screw drivers like i was getting a tire over the bead, one slipped and screwdriver poked me about 1/4" (6mm) between my eye and bridge of my nose. at the time it hurt like a sonofabitch and i slammed my eye shut cussed for about 2 mins afraid to open my eye in fear that i just wouldnt be able to see. but i still have both eyeballs

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let me ask you this if someone straight piped their truck and decided to just make multiple J tubes of different lengths would it be tame enough to drive or does it only effect the drone persay?

Drone is just an exhaust sound, which is a resonance. Drone is the term given to that sound which we find offensive since it's so prevalent instead of smoothly blending in with the rest of the exhaust notes. It's a particular sound wave (frequency) that resonates in just a way that it pierces the cabin floor and maybe even vibrates other pieces, adding to the offensiveness. The Helmholtz chamber(s) very effectively cancel out those offending sound frequencies since they target them. So, if you had a bunch of them to attack a range of frequencies, then, yes, you could very effectively muffle your exhaust volume. You could fine-tune it to cancel out all the lows and pass the highs and make it sound like a weedeater or cancel the highs and make it have a deep rumble. Your average chambered muffler (stock or aftermarket) has a bit of a Helmholtz effect by design. They typically break up the sound waves while reflecting them. A packed muffler is designed more to absorb all the sound waves to attenuate them rather than to reflect them onto themselves to cancel them. A lot of mufflers use both methods. Different sound absorption materials and amounts (usually determined by length and size of muffler) will determine what frequencies are absorbed the most and how much they're absorbed. A resonator's purpose is to attack any "stray" and unwanted frequencies that the muffler wasn't capable of attenuating.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drone is just an exhaust sound, which is a resonance. Drone is the term given to that sound which we find offensive since it's so prevalent instead of smoothly blending in with the rest of the exhaust notes. It's a particular sound wave (frequency) that resonates in just a way that it pierces the cabin floor and maybe even vibrates other pieces, adding to the offensiveness. The Helmholtz chamber(s) very effectively cancel out those offending sound frequencies since they target them. So, if you had a bunch of them to attack a range of frequencies, then, yes, you could very effectively muffle your exhaust volume. You could fine-tune it to cancel out all the lows and pass the highs and make it sound like a weedeater or cancel the highs and make it have a deep rumble. Your average chambered muffler (stock or aftermarket) has a bit of a Helmholtz effect by design. They typically break up the sound waves while reflecting them. A packed muffler is designed more to absorb all the sound waves to attenuate them rather than to reflect them onto themselves to cancel them. A lot of mufflers use both methods. Different sound absorption materials and amounts (usually determined by length and size of muffler) will determine what frequencies are absorbed the most and how much they're absorbed. A resonator's purpose is to attack any "stray" and unwanted frequencies that the muffler wasn't capable of attenuating.

Very well said and thank you for the detailed response! Now my next questions is, if I make a single long tube and decide it needs another pipe of smaller length can I T directly off the existing J tube and create another smaller J tube? Obviously taking into account the extra length added depending on the position I would T into.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some time tonight to play with J pipe location and chopped the remainder of the spare tire bracket out. There's plenty of room now and it will all be way tucked up out of sight. Also ended up using the old bracket to cut the end cap for the j tube since I was having trouble finding any on Amazon.

Lastly my 408 Denali buddy came over and we practiced Bozozuko or whatever it's called with the crazy exhausts lol.

Attachments

• 20210713_184643.jpg
    20210713_184643.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210713_200759.jpg
    20210713_200759.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210713_200811.jpg
    20210713_200811.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210713_211034.jpg
    20210713_211034.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210713_211050.jpg
    20210713_211050.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 3

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very well said and thank you for the detailed response! Now my next questions is, if I make a single long tube and decide it needs another pipe of smaller length can I T directly off the existing J tube and create another smaller J tube? Obviously taking into account the extra length added depending on the position I would T into.

Interesting thought! But, it don't think it works that way. Or maybe it does? I guess if the other tube was targeting a widely different frequency, it'd work. Although, I'm inclined to think the resonator on a resonator would likely disrupt the movements of the waves in each tube and make both less effective. Besides, why would you branch off of one J-tube when you could just branch another J-tube off of the main trunk line?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89

Latest posts