2013 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ 4WD with metallic clicking, thumping only in 2WD, goes away in 4WD!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_stat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Strange metallic clicking or thumping sound that comes from the left side around the wheel well and is loudest at slowest speeds, goes away at faster speeds or perhaps I just cannot hear it. Sound is only present in 2WD and goes away in 4WD although there is still the typical 4WD whine. Both left and right wheel bearings have been replaced, brakes and rotors are new without rubbing, turning In either direction does not affect the sound. I have a video of the sound but have to figure out how to post it here. Thank you for any help.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Upload your video to a hosting site like YouTube, then post the link to it here. TYF can't host videos.

OP
OP
T

t_stat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Strange metallic clicking or thumping sound that comes from the left side around the wheel well and is loudest at slowest speeds, goes away at faster speeds or perhaps I just cannot hear it. Sound is only present in 2WD and goes away in 4WD although there is still the typical 4WD whine. Both left and right wheel bearings have been replaced, brakes and rotors are new without rubbing, turning In either direction does not affect the sound. I have a video of the sound but have to figure out how to post it here. Thank you for any help.
Here is the video link. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
T

t_stat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another link in case the first one doesn't work.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it doesn't happen in 4WD, I'd have to guess transfercase.

OP
OP
T

t_stat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I can hear it when I shift into neutral. The slower the car travels the louder it gets. Also, it' doesn't completely go away in 4WD but the sound becomes very quiet.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U-Joint or CV? It’s hammering hard whatever it is shouldn’t be hard to find unless it is internal. Get it up in the air and start rotating things.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Another link in case the first one doesn't work.

That sounds awful! Man I’d take a good look at the universal joints and push/pull on the driveshafts and see if there is any play in the mounts anywhere
In a good scenario it’s just a u joint and the driveshaft is bouncing around as it rotates but it could very well be the transfer case also you won’t know until you take a closer look.
Could change the fluid in the transfer case and look for any glitter in the oil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Voncrutch