2013 Tahoe Gear Shift Lever loose and will not go into gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just found this on YT

If the doorman doesn't hold then I'm gonna do this... And I'm also in Houston so I feel your pain with the wet heat...

I'm finally back to working on this after being out of town for a couple weeks and then having the Tahoe in the body shop to repair damage from being rear ended. I bought the nylon bushing and it doesn't seem to click on and give any support. After putting an unholy amount of pressure on it to get it in place I can flick it off with my pinky. I'm going for the repair in this video. I've got all the stuff to do a good job of it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm finally back to working on this after being out of town for a couple weeks and then having the Tahoe in the body shop to repair damage from being rear ended. I bought the nylon bushing and it doesn't seem to click on and give any support. After putting an unholy amount of pressure on it to get it in place I can flick it off with my pinky. I'm going for the repair in this video. I've got all the stuff to do a good job of it.
I want that guy's lift.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no need for all that nonsense, the fitting and a drill bit cotter pin and washer works fine, been thru 4 years of abuse still works perfectly fine, will take a whole 5 minutes
and if it needs to come off for whatever reason, pull the cotter pin, done.
shifter.JPG

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did pull the lever, ground off the rivet and punched it out. Tried to tap it to 1/4-20 but didn't get the tap to bite. I drilled it to accept the same bolt slid through from the back side. My bolt had a lower profile head and the shaft had just a slight flare at the head that let me tap it into place with a hammer. The cable end with the trimmed nylon bushing is just minutely loose. My nut ran down and tightened against the unthreaded shaft just touching the cable. Shifter feels great and I know I won't have to fix it again.

Side note, I injured some fingers on my left hand a few weeks ago and didn't want to fight with putting gloves on. Figured I wouldn't get dirty working on this. I was wrong. Tried out the Fast Orange mechanics' wipes I bought at Walmart and cleaned me right up. Tried it on the door pull that my mechanic* got dirty and cleaned that up too.

*I do all my own work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jocooter