4x4 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The past 2 times I have been offroading I have run into a problem with my push button 4x4. When I put it in 4hi the lig hr just blinks and only the rear tires spin. However. Its seems that after staying on the gas for a while the front tires slowly try to engage (this is while im pretty much stuck in the mud). I havent spent enough time messing with it in 4lo to really notice anything except that 4x4 still doesnt work haha. However, it does still engage into low gear. Now here is the weird part. Both times I have had this problem, Ill spin around in 2wheel drive (but with the 4hi button pressed) and ill shut the truck off for about 20 mins. Ill start the truck and go again and hello 4x4 with no problems! Ive had problems with the actuator in the front diff before and I dont think thats the problem. Actually while writing this I just realized that I couldve looked underneath while the rear tires were spinning and checked to see if the front driveshaft was turning. Ill have to check that. Let me know if you have any idea what is going on, ide appreciate it!

OP
OP
I go every where
Reaction score
Had the fiance drive it about 10 feet in 2hi and 4hi. Front drive spun in 4hi and not in 2hi. So problem must be the acuator again right? There isnt anything in the t-case that would cause the drive shaft not to turn under stress right? I assume its all or nothing with the t-case.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The actuator in front diffy presses on a shift fork that moves the rotating locking collar the connect the right axle the the differential carrier output for the right axle thereby locking it together. The shift fork might have broke. Check the actuator to see if it extends with power on and 4wd on. If so the diffy will have to be torn down for inspection. If not look at the power switching circuit for the actuator.

OP
OP
I go every where
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. Ill check the actuator tonight. If the problem is deeper than that its gonna wait untill I put my 4.56's in next month :rockit:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to get off topic but may i ask for what reason are you getting 4.56 ratiod axles
may i ask becuase the only reasons that im aware of that you would need a 4.10 or like a 4.56 or even higher would be for extreme offroad applications IE rock crawling
and full time towing ass opposed to towing a boat or something like once a month

i know from personal experience a 4.10 kills yer fuel economy no matter what so i cant imagine what the fuel Eco is like with a 4.56
OMG i wonder what the fuel eco would be like on a flex fuel with a 4.56 running E85
like 4 mpg

OP
OP
I go every where
Reaction score
sorry to get off topic but may i ask for what reason are you getting 4.56 ratiod axles
may i ask becuase the only reasons that im aware of that you would need a 4.10 or like a 4.56 or even higher would be for extreme offroad applications IE rock crawling
and full time towing ass opposed to towing a boat or something like once a month

i know from personal experience a 4.10 kills yer fuel economy no matter what so i cant imagine what the fuel Eco is like with a 4.56
OMG i wonder what the fuel eco would be like on a flex fuel with a 4.56 running E85
like 4 mpg

Im going to 37's soon. I know 4.56's are still a little low even with 37's but ill enjoy the little bit of extra umph :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035