5.3 engine tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

64chevelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've test drove some tahoes...silverados..and a gmc sierra. A couple of them have a tick at start up. After some reading this sounds common among 5.3 motors. The one today the Sierra has 106k on it and is a 2001. Should this concern me? He told me it does it slightly and goes away after a mile or so. Any thoughts

Shadow711

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Yukon Denali and I have a nasty tick. I'm somewhere in the 120k mile range. Sometimes its super loud and other times i can't hear it. One of my exhaust manifold bolt heads sheared off... :( I heard that was a common problem with some of the GM's because of the bolt types that were used. It's not causing any harm on mine other than sounding like crap. As soon as I have money for stainless headers, my local welding shop guy will put them on and replace all the bolts. I wonder if it could be the same? or if not that maybe a gasket?

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
Normal to me.

My 2002 Tahoe ticks apon cold start up and goes away after 45seconds or so. And my dad has a 2001 Silverado that does the same thing. My trucks been that way for 7 years and no problems and my dads truck been that way since 2003 when he bought it. Still runs like a champ.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
My 2007 does the same thing. Normal from what i understand with the 5.3. I have 122k on mine and has been doing it since i bought it at 60k

GM iraqi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing here with my 99 Yukon I left it for 3 days and when I started it up I heard this sound and after less than minute it faded and never heard it again
My advice to you is you stared daily just for 2 or 3 minutes

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two most common: It could be piston slap, or broken exhaust manifold bolt, usually near the firewall. Both go away after warmup, but the tick is a bit different sound. There are plenty of threads on both on this forum. Neither are much of an issue typically unless you have MANY bolts broke, then you're going to have exhaust leak and get a code.

02DFWTahoe

Reaction score
Its likely a lifter that you hear that's bled off or is malfunctioning. If the vehicle has been sitting for a few days, it wouldn't surprise me to hear a little rattle at startup. If however the noise persists after the vehicle gets up to operating temperature, it's likely that the lifter is malfunctioning and isn't pumping up to control valve lash any longer. This isn't the easiest fix in an LS as you have to remove the heads to replace the lifters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou