5.3 Tick/Knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That port right behind the power steering pump is where l hooked into to test mine. If i remember correctly, I'm thinking it's a 8mm hex/allen bit. Whatever it is, I do remember its Metric, NOT Fractional sized bits.
And I have the Harbor Freight oil pressure gauge testing kit. It does NOT come with an adapter to fit LS engines. But heres what I did: First, I replaced my oil pressure switch, hoping that was the problem. When the low pressure persisted, I bought that HF pressure testing kit to check it manually. I realized that the correct adapter was not included, and after much searching online I realized that Ineeded to order the proper adapter. Seems this is a pretty common issue, as MOST pressure guage kits do not include this particular adapter. Nobody locally had this adapter either. But instead of waiting a week for said adapter to arrive, l simply MADE an adapter. Like I mentioned above, I had just replaced the oil pressure switch and i still had the old one. So I used the old switch to make an adapter. I drilled it out and tapped it for 1/8" npt thread, as there was an 1/8" adapter in the Harbor Freight kit, plus l already had a 1/8" thread cutting die. You will need this adapter to screw into the location of the stock oil pressure switch, OR the test plug behind the power steering pump. They both have the same metric threads.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That port right behind the power steering pump is where l hooked into to test mine. If i remember correctly, I'm thinking it's a 8mm hex/allen bit. Whatever it is, I do remember its Metric, NOT Fractional sized bits.
And I have the Harbor Freight oil pressure gauge testing kit. It does NOT come with an adapter to fit LS engines. But heres what I did: First, I replaced my oil pressure switch, hoping that was the problem. When the low pressure persisted, I bought that HF pressure testing kit to check it manually. I realized that the correct adapter was not included, and after much searching online I realized that Ineeded to order the proper adapter. Seems this is a pretty common issue, as MOST pressure guage kits do not include this particular adapter. Nobody locally had this adapter either. But instead of waiting a week for said adapter to arrive, l simply MADE an adapter. Like I mentioned above, I had just replaced the oil pressure switch and i still had the old one. So I used the old switch to make an adapter. I drilled it out and tapped it for 1/8" npt thread, as there was an 1/8" adapter in the Harbor Freight kit, plus l already had a 1/8" thread cutting die. You will need this adapter to screw into the location of the stock oil pressure switch, OR the test plug behind the power steering pump. They both have the same metric threads.
Thank you! Definitely testing behind the power steering pump where that Allen plug is.

Thankfully I won’t have to make an adapter out of my old switch, the kit I have coming from Amazon on Sunday includes the necessary M16 x 1.50 adapter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
901happy