95 GMC Yukon No Start/No Spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I've been experiencing a weird transmission issue intermittently where I'll be driving and suddenly it will feel like it would go into neutral until I would slow down a bit and it would re catch it self and eventually work normal for a few days and on and off.. Anyways fast forward to the other day, I got to work and the truck shut off on its own, I tried to restart and just crank and no start.. We figured out the coil wasn't getting 12v we jumped the wire and was able to get it started so I can take it home.. Once I got home I did some searching and came across the easyrepairguide website and followed all the test system and found that my pick up coil was "bad" I decided to go ahead and get the entire distributor and coil brand new, installed everything and still no start/spark. We even tried to jump the coil again and nothing. I did some more searching and pulled my codes and got 67, 81 and 82 with the paper clip trick.. I thought maybe all these issues could be related to the ignition switch.. I checked it with a multi meter and the red wires are supplying 12v when in the on position I didn't get a reading from the pink wire and also I've noticed my gauges stoped working. I'm waiting on the ignition switch to get here to replace but after some more searching I feel like it might be the crankshaft position sensor. What do you guys think? I feel like it at least should have started when I jumped the coil after replacing the distributor and coil

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

I forgot to add... All the fuses were good, none were blown... I disconnected the negative terminal and waited 10 min and tried again and nothing.. Also the codes were now gone

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
all the codes you listed were 3 different solenoid faults so it's very likely you have a power supply issue. if you see no power on the pink output wire with switch on then the switch is likely faulty. along with gauges the turn/bu lights and airbag would be down as well. if there is no power on the white output wire either but you can still crank the the fault has to be in the switch. if you later stop cranking as well then there is a possibility later on that the 40 amp maxifuse supplying the switch blew as well. I think you are spot on with the switch being bad. don't bother with the crank senor now. your dead wires kills off the entire power supply for the powertrain.

OP
OP
V

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Was able to install the new ignition switch but when I tried to start the battery was dead.. Going to give it a try today when I get home.. I noticed my fuel pump isnt making any noises either... Gonna check for 12V down there as well.. Hopefully I dont have to replace that as well

OP
OP
V

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well just got home for my lunch break and tried to start it.. Cranks good but no start. When I first put the key on run I don't hear the pump kick on, however after I've tried cranking it over I can hear the fuel pump and then it shuts off. I wonder if it's not giving enough pressure to start the engine? I'm going to spray some starter fluid after work and see what happens

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to. if it still does not keep running it sound like the pcm is not getting the crank signal or the icm maybe may not be functional yet or the ignition system is out. sounds like the pcm is functional tho if the pump is priming. leave anything disconnect from before?

OP
OP
V

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So Checked all conections and everything seems ok. I retested the coil to make sure it was getting 12V with the ignition switch on and I am getting a 12V reading at the coil.. We checked for spark but it only sparks once and thats it.. Im going to change the fuel filter today and go from there.. You think I might have to check the timing on the truck? I just dont see how it could have gotten off timming if the only thing that has happened is that it stalled and hasnt started since..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
this one spark happens when you crank and as long as you continue to crank it sparks no more?

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

remove the dizzy cap and check for any burned out components. When my vortec failed it coil i had a one spark start cycle. bastard failed while crossing an stop sign intersection.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

even if the timing was off as long as dizzy spins you should have seen a regular spark meaning your coil or its negative trigger circuit is inoperative or the dizzy is not spinning. assuming you have the 12 v feed to it.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

hold a sec...

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully when you installed the new distributor, you installed it correctly with No. 1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke. Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES