98 ford ranger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcoffey24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since I am not part of a ranger forum I thought I would give this a shot here. I have a 98 for ranger 2wd 4cyl. I was on my way to Kansas a couple weeks ago and about half way there I noticed the temp gauge was reading at the C mark. Also the heater was not heating like normal. First thing that came to mind was the thermostat must be stuck open. So as soon as I got home I replaced the thermostat but it didn't fix anything. The engine is running under the c mark on the temp gauge. Also the engine is running rough and even at times I can hear the lifters knocking. I have tried covering half the radiator with cardboard with no change so I covered 100% of the radiator with cardboard to see what would happen and I was able to get the temp in the normal range, but as soon as the t-stat opens the gauge drops to below c again. With the outside temps in the 20s I am getting little to no heat in the cab so I am looking for any ideas.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like tstat, have you verified the water temp is getting hot?

Like is upper radiator hose hot to the touch?

OP
OP
M

Mcoffey24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I fixed the problem with one of the following things. The coolant was really dirty looking so I flushed the system with new, The new t-stat was opening to soon so I bought a new one boiled it in a pot to make sure it was working. Also the system had a air lock and took a full day to burp all the air out. The more air I got out of the system the more heat I got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365

Latest posts