AFM Disable Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He pulled up and put my front wheels on the rollers! (no rolling, although the rollers were rolling when I left..) Plugged into OBD port..
Maybe checked that the check engine light works, visual inspection of engine compartment.
Revved up engine in park, about 2500 rpms for about 5-10 secs for the sniffer.
So, at least the version of the bum sniffer you were put through was in Park / Neutral, at idle and at ~ 2500RpM.
I do not know if the EGR Valve is normally functional in Park / Neutral.
I ALSO don't know if the EGR Valve can be commanded to function in Park / Neutral with California's OBD2 dingle in your OBD2 dongle.

Do you remember if the state computer's dingle was connected to your dongle DURING the bum sniffer?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rest assured, your checksums and CVNs were verified by California when they connected to your vehicle; your tuned checksums and CVNs are therefore identical to GM OE.

Those who did not understand the previous may continue living in fear of California at your inconvenience.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, at least the version of the bum sniffer you were put through was in Park / Neutral, at idle and at ~ 2500RpM.
I do not know if the EGR Valve is normally functional in Park / Neutral.
I ALSO don't know if the EGR Valve can be commanded to function in Park / Neutral with California's OBD2 dingle in your OBD2 dongle.

Do you remember if the state computer's dingle was connected to your dongle DURING the bum sniffer?

I'm still pretty sure we don't have egr valves. all that ended on ls engines a while ago.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the things I think might have been changed.
I THINK California wants the vehicle to stay plugged in during the bum sniffer?

it would be smart to leave it plugged in as you see the actual rpm and stuff.

back in the day before obd2 stuff was common. Florida has emissions testing. they stuck a probe in the tail pipe. if you failed idle, they would raise the rollers. it was mph based and you drove yourself with a target on the screen. if you could slip the clutch a bit with a manual taking off in 4th gear then shift to 5th it was super easy to pass compared to a auto shifting thru gears.

if that didn't work, we'd hooked up an electric smog pump to blow air into the exhaust. they would then pass with no problem. it only tested for 2 things and a mirror to check that it had a cat. which was just an empty housing on all our cars back them.

to be honest it was probably a good thing back then.. old carb junk on the roads would leave smoke trails before they started testing.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In NYC, for several years, they'd put 2WD vehicles (FWD or RWD) on a dyno, clamp onto one cylinder's spark wire to track RpM,
and drove with a target on the screen.
There was an uphill portion which pretty much required at least a one-gear downshift, and a long deceleration from about 58MpH-0MpH.
I am CERTAIN that this test cycle allowed the EGR Valve to briefly get involved, which helped to lower NOx a bit,
whereas the stationary-in-Park / Neutral tests almost certainly do NOT involve the EGR.
Fulltime AWD / 4WD vehicles got to avoid the rollers, and did the idle & 2000RpM bum sniffer tests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burdbrain68