Afm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magallon0820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I have a 2016 tahoe with 130k on it got it at 120. I have read about the afm delete and I do not want to pay for a new tranmission, so the question was what reccemndation do ya'll have on which one to get, I am not trying to pay thousands I found some on Amazon for cheap but also understand the you get what you pay for, so which cheap ones yall recommend?

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM has nothing to do with tranny. As for tuner, get a used diablosport off ebay. I picked up one a few years ago for $250 or so, and I have used it on my last 2 rigs. You can tune, change tire size & pedal sensitivity, and turn off AFM or speed limiter plus custom tunes. Best bang for buck...

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM has nothing to do with tranny. As for tuner, get a used diablosport off ebay.
I picked up one a few years ago for $250 or so, and I have used it on my last 2 rigs.
You can tune, change tire size & pedal sensitivity, and turn off AFM or speed limiter plus custom tunes. Best bang for buck ...
Engine Half@$$ does have something to do with the transmission ... tuning.
Torque converter clutch slip in cars with Engine Half@$$ is higher than in 2500-&-up trucks
that lack Engine Half@$$.

So when your diablosport disables Engine Half@$$, it may not reduce the TCC slip.
So even if your engine is always a V8, the TCC will still slip and wear out eventually,
which will eventually take out the 6L80.

A full tune from a reputable human being will permanently disable Engine Half@$$,
AND also retune the 6L80 to correct the TCC slip, among many other things that can be
custom suited to your tastes, including tire size & pedal sensitivity.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son had disabled his AFM at 85k miles, trans went out at just over 100k. Could have been just ready to go but still had a complete transmission fail due to the torque converter slipping as designed. Transmission shop had the equipment to re-program all that nonsense out and it drives like it should now. I'd highly recommend a full tune for this. If I didn't have the GMEPP warranty I'd sure do it quick.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also put in a RANGE Device that disables AFM. I used one for 110k miles before I got HP TUNERS and it worked great.

I'll let it go for a good price. Anyone interested PM me.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also put in a RANGE Device that disables Engine Half@$$. I used one for 110k miles before I got HP TUNERS and it worked great.
They work very well for disabling Engine Half@$$.
However they cannot / do not fix the GM OE TCC slip percentage.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I could in theory copy the V4 table to the V8 side and be done?
I would assume so. But, if you have AFM turned off, it will never go there. It has a different slip map to allow it to stay in V4 longer and probably feel smoother to the driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hm41120