All Yukon owners Read this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a snow storm here a couple months ago i was looking at the rear of my YD in the driveway. i noticed the plastic applique above the rear license plate (houses the license plate lights and rear camera ir equipped) that is body colored has a "ding" in it towards the left side. No paint missing, no impact point that i can see, just a door ding in a plastic piece 4 ft off the ground 6 inches inward of the rear bumper, how can this happen? My wife? kids? No. the piece is plastic and doesn't dent, it would just crack if it were pushed or hit hard enough..
So i just chalked it up to some ******* punching the back of my truck (idk, i just gave up on figuring it out). But it's very noticable, like a fish eye whenever i look at the rear of the truck and it pisses me off, there's not a mark on it elswhere, it's a year old (7k mi).
I was out with a friend and looking at some used Yukon/Escalades for his wife and i noticed the yukon there had the same ding, IN THE SAME SPOT! So i then went to a GMC dealer and sure enough IT'S A FRIGGIN DESIGN FLAW GM HASN'T PICKED UP ON???? wtf gm? you've been making this truck for model years and never backed off the torque on the rachets used to tighten the applique on every yukon?
I figured this out after seeing yukon after yukon with the exact "pull" in the same spot (which i thought was a ding). some were more pronounced than others, mine has Gotten worse since i look at my truck all the time and never noticed this before, maybe the metal/plastic expanding and contracting due to the very cold weather and foot of snow on the truck?
Please go out to your Yukons, doesn't matter, base/Denali reg. or XL and look at the plastic applique on an angle for this "dimple" it's there, noticable when in direct sunlight or high reflection angle of images time of day. if you follow the applique on the angle (not steep at all) you will see the fish eye and distortion of images towards the left side.. Why only the left side?? idk.. this part is not easy to remove, it needs to be painted and installed and i'm not happy about it.. Tahoes and Esky's do not have this issue, their respective appliques are obviously thicker or use a different style of mounting than the thin/flat applique of the yukons...thanks..

DSC05753-Copy.jpg

FLtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This blows...I'm fighting with GM on the dash crack that is common on the NNBS vehicles.

You probably paid close to $50k for that denali and then you have to deal with these sorts of issues. I understand companies are going to make mistakes when manufacturing cars, but they need to make it right.

Couldn't hurt to call...GM Customer Sevice # is 866-790-5600.

Good luck.

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the same thing! I thought someone hit it with some thing :flame:

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM quality

After 20+ trips to the dealer on my NEW 09 Tahoe bought with 6 miles on it... and getting more than $2,000 back from GM via the BBB...

I'm never buying a GM again, and telling everyone I know to avoid them like the plauge.

Next time it's a Land Cruiser for me.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 20+ trips to the dealer on my NEW 09 Tahoe bought with 6 miles on it... and getting more than $2,000 back from GM via the BBB...

I'm never buying a GM again, and telling everyone I know to avoid them like the plauge.

Next time it's a Land Cruiser for me.

Sabr -- You've been dumping on your truck and GM for as long as I've seen you post (on both forums). Why do you still have the truck? Seems crazy to me.

JimZ

Reaction score
Man, Sorry to hear about this. Mine is a 2011 Denali, Storm Grey also, and mine is as smooth as can be. No flaws in that piece whatsoever. It's only a week old and I just spent 3 days claybarring, polishing, sealing and the only paint flaws I could find were at the bottom leading edges of a couple of the doors. Pointed this out to dealer before I picked her up. They are right at a couple of the bottom corners, kinda like maybe the doors were touching some jig or something during painting, maybe even a drip, i dunno.

Jim

OP
OP
Tonygxp

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, Sorry to hear about this. Mine is a 2011 Denali, Storm Grey also, and mine is as smooth as can be. No flaws in that piece whatsoever. It's only a week old and I just spent 3 days claybarring, polishing, sealing and the only paint flaws I could find were at the bottom leading edges of a couple of the doors. Pointed this out to dealer before I picked her up. They are right at a couple of the bottom corners, kinda like maybe the doors were touching some jig or something during painting, maybe even a drip, i dunno.

Jim

i forgot to look if you live in a colder climate or not... I sepnt hours on my truck, even over the summer and never noticed it. it has gotten worse with age if you can believe it. i almost wonder if a combination of stress applied to the connector which holds the panel on that side causes the panel to "stretch" with age when exposed to the sun. (my truck is facing west and the back gets hammered by the sun everyday, in the summer liftgate will burn your hand). I saw another couple tonight on the road and just leaning a certain way from my Dodge Ram, at a light i could see the same in these couple year old Yukons lol.. it really is a hobby for me now.. i'm laughing about it because what can i do?? I think a few hot summer months just beating on the back of this truck everyday heated the thin plastic up enough to cause this to happen. the yukons at the dealer have the mark but only one was as noticable as mine, he rest had the mark but in a tighter circle..

Here's a tip, make sure you alternate which side of the Denali gets hit with the sun lol..

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Mine has the same thing! I thought someone hit it with some thing :flame:

i almost bought a DVR camera system due to this conspiracy theory you and i had lol!

onepoorpilot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This blows...I'm fighting with GM on the dash crack that is common on the NNBS vehicles.

You probably paid close to $50k for that denali and then you have to deal with these sorts of issues. I understand companies are going to make mistakes when manufacturing cars, but they need to make it right.

Couldn't hurt to call...GM Customer Sevice # is 866-790-5600.

Good luck.

I have the dash problem too and GM basically told me to go F myself. Even the GM guy on this forum who supposedly "gets stuff done" couldn't do anything for me. They had no reason to deny my claim, my dash cracked just like everyone else's.... sorry to thread hijack but this cracked dash bs is getting out of control. (I have 3 cracks now on my 07 yukon)

OP
OP
Tonygxp

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another dealer today, another 10 Yukons in various configurations (3 used), varying colors, all have the "dimple" in the rear applique. What i did notice that really gets under my skin (having chosen a darker colored YD) is that the Black and Storm Gray are more noticable (due to the high reflection of those colors for a "mirror" like image). the 3 black Denalis that were there were even worse than mine and they were all brand new..

I believe i will be installing one of those chrome plastic covers over it and slapping the GMC emblem right in the middle. like the newer GMC vehicles. i've always thought the back of the Yukons were too plain (Tahoe has the bowtie and Caddy has the Crest on theirs). When the weather finally turns up here i will do it and post some pics. i thinkGM should've done it that way from the getgo (like the Hybrid has, but ad the chrome applique)..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat