Blue gauges and HVAC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the bulbs hard to access? I'd imagine that you have to remove a large portion of your dash (read: the whole fuggin thing) to get to all of the LEDs....

The end result is amazing looking, I just don't think I'd have the time to do it. My truck usually can't be out of service for more than a couple of days.

Took me about 15 mins from start to finish for the gauge cluster. For someone who's never pulled the cluster out, it still shouldn't take anymore than about 30 mins or so. The bezel around the IP/HVAC pulls straight out. Then you have access to four 9/32 screws to remove the IP. Unplug the IP, then you'll see tabs that you pry apart to take the back of the IP apart. Once apart, you twist the old bulbs out (02-under models) and twist in the new ones.

OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
its sexy... you have any more of these "broken" monitors laying around? I am running out of fun weekend projects

how much were all the LED's for the dash and hvac?

I bought the broken monitor from ebay for $20 shipped. The hinge was broken, the monitor itself was perfect.

LEDs for the gauges were only a couple bucks each. Plus you need the twist lock sockets for the LEDs to mount into. So you need six bulbs and six sockets. I don't remember the exact price, but everything for the gauges together wasn't more than $20 IIRC. I'll find the link to the parts and post em for you.
The HVAC was free since I had a bunch of blue single LEDs and resistors laying around. But you can go to Radio Shack and pick up some LEDs and resistors for under $10.

PavementPounder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say I did my cluster for about 20 bucks and love it. I can have it out in three minutes if needed.

OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing i see is that theres a couple brighter spots but it still looks good
Yea, that does suck. Since the LEDs are directional and don't illuminate all the way around like the original incadescent bulbs, it's a little harder to get a perfectly uniform pattern. But one of these days I will fix that with some plexiglass to distribute the light more evenly.

OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gauge cluster uses 194-type bulbs. You'll need (6) LEDs and (6) twist lock wedge sockets. I used six of the 3-led bulbs from ledlight.com (http://www.ledlight.com/t10-wedge-3-led-light.aspx)and ordered the sockets from bayareaamusements.com. (http://bayareaamusements.com/Mercha...ode=LB-T3T&Category_Code=LBS&Product_Count=40) These are pretty much plug and play.
The 03+ models are soldered in place if I'm not mistaken, as someone else stated earlier. These are still replaceable if you have decent pcb soldering skills.
The HVAC control bulbs are soldered in place. I used (8) LEDs and 500 ohm resistors on each and soldered them in place of the original bulbs.
You'll lose the ability to adjust the intensity without some sort of PWM controller, but for me, it's not a big deal.

OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
New sockets. Too much trouble to tear up the stock ones to make them work, especially when the new ones are as cheap as they are.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin good as usual JK!! You said you had to use the resistors just on the HVAC part? How come you need them there and not on the dash? Sorry, notthe best with this stuff, took a class back in high school but I would have to get a refresher to remember anything. Thanks!

OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The replacement LED bulb assemblies for the gauges, domes, etc, all have resistors built-in. I just used bare single LEDs for the hvac, so you have to add resistors to keep from burning out the diodes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shopgirl