Brake Upgrade Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want 17" wheels you'll have to get some off a '19+, or get aftermarket with the '19+ offset and back spacing.
They do still run 17" wheels on the new trucks.
And most of the ones with 18" or larger wheels, still have 17" spare tires.
Which is proof that 18" wheels are not strictly necessary (except maybe on the PPVs?).

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe one is for disc/drum brakes and the other is disc/disc brakes.

Interesting thanks.

I got the steel braided hoses installed. Fairly simple job. Other than center hose above rear diff ROYAL PITA. Haven't had much time to test them out. Will post once I have. Discovered my rear brake pads have like 10 miles left on them haha Glad I looked. They're GONE. Will post when everything is working and tested. I did do a short drive but not sure I got all the air out of the lines so cannot say much yet.

buckwild27

Reaction score
Interesting thanks.

I got the steel braided hoses installed. Fairly simple job. Other than center hose above rear diff ROYAL PITA. Haven't had much time to test them out. Will post once I have. Discovered my rear brake pads have like 10 miles left on them haha Glad I looked. They're GONE. Will post when everything is working and tested. I did do a short drive but not sure I got all the air out of the lines so cannot say much yet.
If you want to really get a bigger master cylinder piston, get a master cylinder for the 2002, 2500 with 4 wheel disc brakes. You'll have to get adapters for the lines that go into the master cylinder. It works great though. I put one on my 91 sierra years ago.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Sam Harris that's awesome! I'm eager to do this now... I noticed one additional "Potential Upgrade" but not sure about master cylinder fitment...

There's two part numbers for the master cylinder. The first is a 1.338in bore:

The second is a "Gold AC Delco Part" with 1.456 in bore:

Wondering which one I have in my truck or how to even tell. Either way curious if it's the smaller one and I'd like to swap in the bigger one would it fit?

One is for vacuum boost, the one with the bigger bore is for hydroboost. Look it up on RockAuto and compare the dimensions of the GM MCs.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to really get a bigger master cylinder piston, get a master cylinder for the 2002, 2500 with 4 wheel disc brakes. You'll have to get adapters for the lines that go into the master cylinder. It works great though. I put one on my 91 sierra years ago.
Great tip! I'll keep this in my wishlist!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew21Z71