Completely lost in transmission 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

torqwench

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok ill try and keep it short so if i leave details out you need please ask! 2005 z71 4wd tahoe test driving it after i removed transmission pan and installed new filter and 1-2 solenoids only and after about 10 miles a loud bang going 70mph then loud clunking and hitting while i got it pulled over, sounded like the transmission but after days of research it lead me to a broken torque converter, so I installed a new one and the truck starts with zero noises real smooth but will not move and only sometimes goes in gear and tries to move barely and i mean so barely it could be an illusion from wishful thinking. i put it in neutral, crawl under and try to spin rear drive shaft by hand and it only turns one direction, rear wheels are off the ground, so i disconnect the shaft from the rear diff and the diff turns easily in both directions with zero noises, i spin the output yolk the transfer case and again it only spins one direction, i spin front shaft both with eased no sounds coming from transfer case. when i put the truck in gear the rear output yolk spins and fluid pours out because the shaft is not installed. took tray cooler line off and started truck and nothing came out. in recap i have eliminated the rear diff and the drive shaft itself but thats about it, i have not taken the pan back off yet and the shift cable is jerry rigged with wire at the moment but intend on putting a new one on. also the 4wd switch in the cab is 3 months old will not go into 4low or neutral, where ya at tranny men?? or transfer men? thank you!

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a sunshell exploding. There are many simple diagnostic charts for a 4l60E. Try a quick search. Otherwise we have to ask you a hundred questions.
Post your results, I'm curious.

OP
OP
T

torqwench

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a sunshell exploding. There are many simple diagnostic charts for a 4l60E. Try a quick search. Otherwise we have to ask you a hundred questions.
Post your results, I'm curious.
thank you, i will look one up, I've been racking my brain so hard that i overthink simple things like a chart to help, but do feel free to ask anything it helps keep my mind from being stuck on one track! thank you very much and i will definitely keep this updated

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you, i will look one up, I've been racking my brain so hard that i overthink simple things like a chart to help, but do feel free to ask anything it helps keep my mind from being stuck on one track! thank you very much and i will definitely keep this updated

You can access the troubleshooting guide with a subscription to AllDataDIY for your truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindahene