Dreaded Effing lifter tap......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after 120k miles of no AFM, 160,370 on the clock I got a lifter noise. The truck was in the body shop for 1.5 weeks and probably got started and moved 10 ft a dozen times......go and pick it up and it's ticking. The guy says " we see that sometimes, probably just need to drive it." Man was I PISSED!

So, I put some Seafoam in it and drove it home.....no change. Going to drop the oil and see if fresh oil, filter, and an oil additive an old master mechanic mentioned to me to see if it will help pump it back up. Will update later today when finished.

This whole thing really grinds my gears - I take excellent care of my vehicles and because of ******** EPA beurocrats and shit-eating bean counters we the people get stuck eating the poo sandwich.

So, I have 4 options:
1. Change oil and pray for good outcome
2. If #1 fails, then put in $2400 of parts and do it myself....
3. Have GM dealership do it for $5500 (having friends there helped on the price by dropping it $1200). Still A LOT of $$
4. Pick up a 65k mile 6.6L from a bone yard 1 hour from here for $3500 and do as another guy here did with his suburban - forgot his handle

Yay for emissions!!!!

L8T BURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the cost in repairing yourself is $2400, but you can source a 6.6 L8T for just $1100 more, most definitely I would recommend the 6.6 route. Since you'd be keeping your stock transmission, no need for a custom driveshaft. It would be a VERY straight forward swap. Only added cost would be getting the ECM tuned properly. My way of thinking is this... refreshing the cam/lifters in an engine that has 160k on the clock still seems more susceptible to failure than a 65k mile 6.6. That's roughly 100k miles less engine wear on heads, crank, block, etc. Of course, if you're paying someone to swap the engines, that may change the thought process on the cost comparisons.

I'm not sure where you stand in regard to equity in your truck right now... but there is always option #5 - Put some additive in it, maybe some 10w30 or even 15w40, and set up Carvana to come take it away.

Truth be told in my case, while it was awesome to go through that whole journey of swapping in the 6.6 and 6L90, if I had to do it all over again, I would have GLADLY taken my loss on the front end and sold it as is to whichever dealer would offer the most before attempting any repairs. All told, I was well over 13k with my swap on a 185k mile rig with a book value of under 10k. Sheesh. Live and learn I suppose.

It sounds like you are in far better shape to spend far less than I did, so I'd imagine this isn't likely isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try Valvoline Restore & Protect 5W40 (winter's almost here).
You know when to change it out, based on how hard your vehicle works.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after 120k miles of no AFM, 160,370 on the clock I got a lifter noise. The truck was in the body shop for 1.5 weeks and probably got started and moved 10 ft a dozen times......go and pick it up and it's ticking. The guy says " we see that sometimes, probably just need to drive it." Man was I PISSED!

So, I put some Seafoam in it and drove it home.....no change. Going to drop the oil and see if fresh oil, filter, and an oil additive an old master mechanic mentioned to me to see if it will help pump it back up. Will update later today when finished.

This whole thing really grinds my gears - I take excellent care of my vehicles and because of ******** EPA beurocrats and shit-eating bean counters we the people get stuck eating the poo sandwich.

So, I have 4 options:
1. Change oil and pray for good outcome
2. If #1 fails, then put in $2400 of parts and do it myself....
3. Have GM dealership do it for $5500 (having friends there helped on the price by dropping it $1200). Still A LOT of $$
4. Pick up a 65k mile 6.6L from a bone yard 1 hour from here for $3500 and do as another guy here did with his suburban - forgot his handle

Yay for emissions!!!!
If you can decide which side tick is I would pull valve cover and see if you can see rocker arm that isn't moving correctly and some owners have found bent push rod which is easily replaced.
If bent push rod I would look at replacing valve solenoid manifold.
I wouldn't drive or run much to keep from causing more damage until a look under valve cover. Sounds like you have done good job with maintenance so rotating assembly should be fine.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the cost in repairing yourself is $2400, but you can source a 6.6 L8T for just $1100 more, most definitely I would recommend the 6.6 route. Since you'd be keeping your stock transmission, no need for a custom driveshaft. It would be a VERY straight forward swap. Only added cost would be getting the ECM tuned properly. My way of thinking is this... refreshing the cam/lifters in an engine that has 160k on the clock still seems more susceptible to failure than a 65k mile 6.6. That's roughly 100k miles less engine wear on heads, crank, block, etc. Of course, if you're paying someone to swap the engines, that may change the thought process on the cost comparisons.

I'm not sure where you stand in regard to equity in your truck right now... but there is always option #5 - Put some additive in it, maybe some 10w30 or even 15w40, and set up Carvana to come take it away.

Truth be told in my case, while it was awesome to go through that whole journey of swapping in the 6.6 and 6L90, if I had to do it all over again, I would have GLADLY taken my loss on the front end and sold it as is to whichever dealer would offer the most before attempting any repairs. All told, I was well over 13k with my swap on a 185k mile rig with a book value of under 10k. Sheesh. Live and learn I suppose.

It sounds like you are in far better shape to spend far less than I did, so I'd imagine this isn't likely isn't an apples to apples comparison.
Agreed on all of the above. Equity is all mine, so nothing hanging around my neck in that regard. I'm hoping option 1 works ans I'll trade it off. If not, then a 6.6L is probably the best option and I'll run it until the wheels fall off.......

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can decide which side tick is I would pull valve cover and see if you can see rocker arm that isn't moving correctly and some owners have found bent push rod which is easily replaced.
If bent push rod I would look at replacing valve solenoid manifold.
I wouldn't drive or run much to keep from causing more damage until a look under valve cover. Sounds like you have done good job with maintenance so rotating assembly should be fine.

Good advice. I'll dive into it this weekend and see what transpires.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I forgot to mention I have HP Tuners. I used it to turn off the crummy AFM. My thought is to get my hands on a 2021 truck and copy the ECM files. Then, in theory I should be able to paste all that stuff into my tables and let er rip.......fingers crossed

Jake707

Reaction score
Dam. Im hoping option 1 works for you, a couple high RPM pulls once warmed up might help as well.
Our new to us '17 Denali has either an intermittent exhaust leak or an actual lifter tick, hard to tell since they can sound similar and its not consistent. Im hoping its due for an oil change and maybe trying a 05w-30 oil might help over the 0w-20 spec

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup I was driving on the highway and when I got off an exit it ramp it was tapping VERY loud like it was going to jump out of the block. I pulled over shut it off checked the oil everything looked fine. Started it back up still was hammering away so I said F it and revved the hell out of it and it stopped never did it again that was a few years ago I got 360K on it with the Range AFM device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geeeeg