Engine stalled, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonese

Reaction score
This is the first time my lovely 01 Yukon didn't make it home, in 11 years.

This morning, it ran smoothly as normal. When it's time to pick kids up from the Sunday class, the engine started OK but dropped to 1 or 2 hundreds RPM in 2~5 seconds, and struggled to rev up for a couple times, then stopped. Tried to push the gas paddle, no help. Repeated a couple times, same symptom. There seemed some smoke out from the pipe.

The Service Engine Light did come on once, OBD code said P0420-1. Does that mean O2 sensor bad? Upstream or downstream? All 4 need to be replaced? A bad catalytic converter can make the engine stall? A catalytic converter goes bad all a sudden? Any other possibility?

I have 69K miles on this 5.3L V8. I need some opinions before I call the tow truck. Thanks for your advices in advance.

Last edited:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting fuel pressure? Can you hear the sound of the fuel pump when you turn the key on?

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting fuel pressure? Can you hear the sound of the fuel pump when you turn the key on?

Yep, best place to start with these trucks, the fuel pumps are always suspect.

Try beating on the tank with a rubber mallet, and then try to start. I thought this method was BS, until I saw my buddy do it, and he was able to save a tow and drive his truck to the dealer for a pump.

Sprayed99

Reaction score
I have also done the fuel tank bang to get me home. I had to do it on the highway with my shoe LOL.

OP
OP
yukonese

yukonese

Reaction score
If it is the pump, how to explain the engine can start successfully every time? Because the gas pressure can't keep up? The parking place is not so quiet, I will need to pay extra attention to the pump whining. Thanks.

bankswood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 Yukon and when my fuel pump failed I coruld start it but it would quit. I am guessing that the pump would "whirl" suring start up just enough to create some pressure.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Just one more for fuel pump. Same symptoms my truck had. It would start fine. Put it into gear and it would immediately drop RPM's and stall.

OP
OP
yukonese

yukonese

Reaction score
It's the pump!

I did some tank bangs, but unhelpful. Since my insurance covers towing, I had my Yukon shipped to a reputable shop by a flat bed. The shop owner told me there was a Tahoe who had a dead fuel pump today, too. What kind of ACDelco quality!

Why GM wanted to put the pump inside of the tank? Is it fun to drop the whole tank? Hope this new pump will last another 11 years!

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, had to sucker punch the tank 3-4 times with a half tank of gas before. My pump was failing when I bought my truck, and fuel gauge could needle dive at anytime. But she ran great, until the pump actually failed/weakened. But the new pump has solved all problems.

You can drop the tank down half way. I have done this with just 2 jack stands on the side of the truck, no shop lift. Once you have enuff clearance to get the pump unit out your golden. Its actually a easy job. 2 straps and the tanks coming down. You may have to rewire for the new style plug to stock harness as well. They pack it as a kit comes with your new pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065