Expedition vs Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sickk21

Reaction score
Well unless you get a high country that’s fully loaded you’re not spending $80k if you can buy a Tahoe at MSRP. And the Denali caps out at around $84k. Fully loaded

Starting MSRP of the baseline Grand Wagoneer is $88k. That’s BAREBONES.
Tahoe $84k, Yukon Denali $87k.

Maybe we have different opinions because I’ve had no problem buying a six figure Lexus, a $70-80k Sequoia is priced right in line with the competition. Whether you like it or not, it’s what vehicles cost and if anything it looks like the Toyota is just as competitive at a slightly lower cost. You keep saying no one will want a Toyota that expensive, making it sound like Chevy is anymore premium. It’s definitely not.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Maybe we have different opinions because I’ve had no problem buying a six figure Lexus, a $70-80k Sequoia is priced right in line with the competition. Whether you like it or not, it’s what vehicles cost and if anything it looks like the Toyota is just as competitive at a slightly lower cost. You keep saying no one will want a Toyota that expensive, making it sound like Chevy is anymore premium. It’s definitely not.

Lexus is a the luxury brand to Toyota. People who buy a lexus expect to pay a premium to buying a Toyota.

Most people who go to buy a Toyota aren’t looking to shell out $60-70k. Most people who are looking to spend $60-70k aren’t walking into a Toyota dealership.

The current ‘22 Seqouia and earlier years arent that cheap to begin with. Base trim at $50k with the Platinum trim starting at around $65k. Who’s buying them? Not a lot of people is the answer. And Toyota like you mentioned is a better quality car that’ll last you longer. But people don’t seem to care.

Sure Chevy isn’t looked at as a premium luxury brand, but Tahoe/Suburban and Yukons are practically a brand within themselves because they’ve just owned this segment of the full size car market for so long. And you can argue the Denali is a brand within itself for Yukons.

Does a facelift to the Toyota to make it look like a Tahoe or Yukon mean they’re going to start selling them hand over fist? Not at $60k plus MSRP they’re not. At the end of the day the brand doesn’t speak for that price range. The sales numbers (or lack thereof) will prove I’m right.

Same thing with the Wagoneer. Or the Grand Wagoneer. Good luck trying to get enough people to spend $100k on one of those things where it makes sense you can produce them every year. How
Many Grand Wagoneers do you think they’ll sell in all of 2023?

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
It's a matter of perspectives. My last two cars were factory orders which took 3-6 months for delivery even when the market was a buyer's market. It's always a challenge figuring out what your needs are in the next 5 years but I don't want to "get caught with my pants down" and have to settle for something that's not exactly the way I want it. So my GF and I end up pre-ordering what we think we will need in the next 2-10 years.

I would argue that most people in the market near me that have single family homes with 3-4 car garages planning spend $60-80k on a car usually have an extra/backup car and can wait out the market for a bit.

My GF and I each have our own car and we have a "backup" car just in case one of our primary vehicles goes down, we can still get around while I get it on our lift and diagnose the issue. I also have a work car to commute to and from work.

I don't consider us far from having "F U" money where a 10+k market adjustment means nothing. My neighbors aren't buying new cars either. Most appear or have indicated they are just going to ride out it out until the market returns to normal.

My position is that I refuse to "get owned" if I can help it and hence that's why I'm okay waiting it out 3-5 years if necessary. Someone else can eat that bullet before me.

But it's entirely possible that if you don't live in an "exurb" but rather a city, the storage and insurance costs of an extra vehicle are substantial that it doesn't make sense to have an extra/back up car since it may end up exceeding the market adjustment over MSRP.

Maybe it’s geographical, because I don’t know anyone who has a “backup” car in case the primary car goes down.

insurance gives you a rental to get by with if you ever get in an accident. Or if you lease a car and it goes down you typically get a loaner.

Like I said, you’re not a common buyer because you’ll wait years for the right situation to upgrade. 3-5 years is crazy to me. Sure I’d hate to have to pay MSRP when I know I can get it for $5k cheaper if I wait 2-3 years…but then again I’ll be a happy guy those 2-3 years driving the car I want opposed to be the guying driving a clunker waiting for the time to strike.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s geographical, because I don’t know anyone who has a “backup” car in case the primary car goes down.

insurance gives you a rental to get by with if you ever get in an accident. Or if you lease a car and it goes down you typically get a loaner.
I've always had 3 cars.. My 3rd is a 2004 2500 ram Cummins I've owned since new. Still looks new, plates and insurance are dirt cheap, and never have to worry if my dealer is crabby and doesn't have a loaner. It's saved our neck many times, plus hauls my 6K TriToon Tower boat with ease. Hasn't ever been back for work at dealer in 15 years. Its been a great cheap insurance policy.....

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always had 3 cars.. My 3rd is a 2004 2500 ram Cummins I've owned since new. Still looks new, plates and insurance are dirt cheap, and never have to worry if my dealer is crabby and doesn't have a loaner. It's saved our neck many times, plus hauls my 6K TriToon Tower boat with ease. Hasn't ever been back for work at dealer in 15 years. Its been a great cheap insurance policy.....
Also, you know that the work has been done correctly. The Cummins powertrain has been the most reliable powertrains for the HD diesel segment. That's because others just can't help themselves for a CP4 fuel pump fail.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We also have an extra vehicle or 2 or 3 or 4 on hand at any given time. Yukon is mostly my wife’s ride and the rest are mine. Nothing very fancy or new but I honestly don’t care at all about that. I’m a car guy and like to buy and sell and hoard cars I like from my childhood in the 80’s/90’s.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lexus is a the luxury brand to Toyota. People who buy a lexus expect to pay a premium to buying a Toyota.

Most people who go to buy a Toyota aren’t looking to shell out $60-70k. Most people who are looking to spend $60-70k aren’t walking into a Toyota dealership.

The current ‘22 Seqouia and earlier years arent that cheap to begin with. Base trim at $50k with the Platinum trim starting at around $65k. Who’s buying them? Not a lot of people is the answer. And Toyota like you mentioned is a better quality car that’ll last you longer. But people don’t seem to care.

Sure Chevy isn’t looked at as a premium luxury brand, but Tahoe/Suburban and Yukons are practically a brand within themselves because they’ve just owned this segment of the full size car market for so long. And you can argue the Denali is a brand within itself for Yukons.

Does a facelift to the Toyota to make it look like a Tahoe or Yukon mean they’re going to start selling them hand over fist? Not at $60k plus MSRP they’re not. At the end of the day the brand doesn’t speak for that price range. The sales numbers (or lack thereof) will prove I’m right.

Same thing with the Wagoneer. Or the Grand Wagoneer. Good luck trying to get enough people to spend $100k on one of those things where it makes sense you can produce them every year. How
Many Grand Wagoneers do you think they’ll sell in all of 2023?
Hard to predict in 2023, but we can take a look at 2021 and 2022 numbers.

For the Cadillac Escalade, these figures include both the standard and extended length wheel base for the entire calendar year. I haven't come across 2022 figures for GM yet.

2020 (pre update) - 24,500 units
2021 - 40,500 units

GM has never sold more than 43,000 units of the Escalade per year.

For the Grand Wagoneer, these figures only include standard length wheel base as the extended length wheel base models are a 2023 model.

2021 Q4 - 2,585 units
2022 Q1 - 3,169 units

The way I read these figures is that even just after starting production and deliveries and not yet offering an extended wheel base model, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the total 2022 production finish with at least 10,000 units, or 25% or more of Cadillac Escalade sales.

Also, the take rate of the long wheel base Grand Wagoneer will be remarkably high in the segment because there are only a few options since manufacturers really need a 1/2 ton pickup chassis to base an extended wheel base full size SUV off of.

I think by 2023, Stellantis will be selling a combination of at least 6,000 units of the short wheel base and long wheel base Grand Wagoneer combined per quarter or 24,000 units per year which is sizable.

Also, Toyota has been selling every single new Tundra they've been producing and it's a decent bit more expensive compared to the outgoing Tundra.

Like I said, you’re not a common buyer because you’ll wait years for the right situation to upgrade. 3-5 years is crazy to me. Sure I’d hate to have to pay MSRP when I know I can get it for $5k cheaper if I wait 2-3 years…but then again I’ll be a happy guy those 2-3 years driving the car I want opposed to be the guying driving a clunker waiting for the time to strike.
It really depends on whether you know what you're doing and how to repair/maintain your car. If you're like the average clueless car owner, then yes, your car will become a decaying pile of shit after 5 years. My track beater is a 2014 335i with 150,000 miles on the odometer with many of those miles being hard track miles. It feels as if it were new. In fact, if you drove it, you would never think there were that many miles on the car. But the cars that I care about are garaged. If your car sits outside or is parallel parked overnight in an urban area, yes, expect a 2 year old car to look like a worn down 10 year old piece of junk. You're paying the unofficial city tax right there.

Last edited:

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I think by 2023, Stellantis will be selling a combination of at least 6,000 units of the short wheel base and long wheel base Grand Wagoneer combined per quarter or 24,000 units per year which is sizable.

Also, Toyota has been selling every single new Tundra they've been producing and it's a decent bit more expensive compared to the outgoing Tundra.

There’s no way in their first full year the Grand Wagoneer will sell 24k units…if GM is selling just over 40k Escalades.

Also the new Tundra starts at $36k……

It really depends on whether you know what you're doing and how to repair/maintain your car. If you're like the average clueless car owner, then yes, your car will become a decaying pile of shit after 5 years.

If you’re the average clueless car owner, you don’t have a car sitting in your garage or driveway that you don’t take anywhere because it’s on standby in case your regular ride breaks down…where you spend $1000+ a year to insure it.

Idk where the person who pays $400 a year for “full coverage” has his insurance with but I’ve never heard of that in my entire life lol. Hopefully he never has to file a claim but I guess…good luck with that if you ever do lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattmoore939