Expedition vs Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stellantis isn't the only one with that strategy. Ford does it as well. There are quite a few forum dealers that will do anywhere from 2-5% below invoice pricing for Fords. Like Stellantis, Ford prices their vehicles with a higher MSRP. The actual market selling price is about equal to comparable GM products.

Manufacturers usually change their holdback to make sure dealers make some profit and/or provide incentives to the retail customer.
This is a good point. We briefly cross-shopped the Expedition Max and always found the Ford MSRP to be at a minimum ~$3K more than the Yukon XL. Even more compared to the Suburban. Ford has been running numerous incentives and I believe all dealers must accept X-Plan pricing (equivalent to GM Supplier Discount). After the Ford incentives you end up with a more competitive price to GM MSRP.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Stellantis isn't the only one with that strategy. Ford does it as well. There are quite a few forum dealers that will do anywhere from 2-5% below invoice pricing for Fords. Like Stellantis, Ford prices their vehicles with a higher MSRP. The actual market selling price is about equal to comparable GM products.

Manufacturers usually change their holdback to make sure dealers make some profit and/or provide incentives to the retail customer.
I get what you're saying now.

But that sounds horrific for the Wagoneer (and especially the Grand Wagoneer) because they're grossly overpriced.

Like I said....MSRP is $14k cheaper for an Escalade versus a Grand Wagoneer.

Meanwhile you have people paying $25k over MSRP for a Escalade and they're already advertising Grand Waggoneers under MSRP.

Good Luck Stellantis. BTW - i don't know about you but I;ve never heard someone say the Suburban or a Tahoe XL or a Escalade ESV is too small....so I have no clue what market they're trying to capture making it even bigger lol

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These things look worse as they stretch them out. And for that extra room expect probably another $4-5k over the current wagoner MSRP.

These things will be discontinued after 2024. I’m calling it

I saw a white one today at the supermarket. I definitely had to do a double take. And it definitely stands out. I didn't have a chance to get a pic of it though.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a good point. We briefly cross-shopped the Expedition Max and always found the Ford MSRP to be at a minimum ~$3K more than the Yukon XL. Even more compared to the Suburban. Ford has been running numerous incentives and I believe all dealers must accept X-Plan pricing (equivalent to GM Supplier Discount). After the Ford incentives you end up with a more competitive price to GM MSRP.

I get what you're saying now.

But that sounds horrific for the Wagoneer (and especially the Grand Wagoneer) because they're grossly overpriced.

Like I said....MSRP is $14k cheaper for an Escalade versus a Grand Wagoneer.

Meanwhile you have people paying $25k over MSRP for a Escalade and they're already advertising Grand Waggoneers under MSRP.

Good Luck Stellantis. BTW - i don't know about you but I;ve never heard someone say the Suburban or a Tahoe XL or a Escalade ESV is too small....so I have no clue what market they're trying to capture making it even bigger lol
If you get a 2WD Escalade Luxury, MSRP is about $14k below a base Grand Wagoneer Series I which cannot be configured in 2WD form. But if you need a more common trim such as the 4WD Premium Luxury or 4WD Sport, the MSRP is over the MSRP of the GW Series 1. In that case, your actual market selling prices of the GW is lower than the Escalade.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
If you get a 2WD Escalade Luxury, MSRP is about $14k below a base Grand Wagoneer Series I which cannot be configured in 2WD form. But if you need a more common trim such as the 4WD Premium Luxury or 4WD Sport, the MSRP is over the MSRP of the GW Series 1. In that case, your actual market selling prices of the GW is lower than the Escalade.
Sorry - 4WD is 8k cheaper.

But now you're talking upgrading trims. People who spend this type of coin on a vehicle aren't going to nickel and dime because they'll rather lose features they may want because they're cap price is $90k. At that point, I want almost everything minus the stupid stuff.

Again...its a no brainer to me. It'll be a no brainer to most people.

If GM decided to put all their efforts to producing as many escaldes as possible so they can meet every order quickly...no one would buy a Grand Wagoneer.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry - 4WD is 8k cheaper.

But now you're talking upgrading trims. People who spend this type of coin on a vehicle aren't going to nickel and dime because they'll rather lose features they may want because they're cap price is $90k. At that point, I want almost everything minus the stupid stuff.

Again...its a no brainer to me. It'll be a no brainer to most people.

If GM decided to put all their efforts to producing as many escaldes as possible so they can meet every order quickly...no one would buy a Grand Wagoneer.
It's not "cheaper" because that's just MSRP. Again, MSRP doesn't matter for the retail customer. It's the actual market selling price. I'm not talking about "upgrading" trims. I'm talking about having two vehicles that are comparable in terms of "standard" features.

Also, what do you consider a "no brainer"? Does that mean out of a given 2 options, if one option achieves over 51% acceptance or higher, it's a "no brainer"? I wouldn't consider being a hair over 50% a "no brainer", but maybe you would. For me if 3 out of 4 people make the same choice given the same problem set, I would begin to sense that the common option may be a "no brainer". It would take at least 4 out of every 5 people to convince me that there's a "no brainer" option.

For some 2021 (or 2022 sales if 2021 data does not exist) US sales data for luxury 3 row SUVs. This is not an comprehensive list:

Cadillac Escalade - 40,505 units
Lincoln Navigator - 15,621 units
Grand Wagoneer - > 12,000 units (assuming based on Q4 2021 and Q1 2022 sales data because it started production in Q4 2021)

Audi Q7 - 25,362 units
MB GLS - 24,482 units
BMW X7 - 23,046 units
LR RR - 18,219

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
It's not "cheaper" because that's just MSRP. Again, MSRP doesn't matter for the retail customer. It's the actual market selling price. I'm not talking about "upgrading" trims. I'm talking about having two vehicles that are comparable in terms of "standard" features.

Bro…market selling price for a Tahoe Yukon and Escalade is over MSRP.

Market selling price for a Wagoneer is below MSRP.

MSRP is everything to a retail customer.

Jeep dealers wouldn’t have to discount them if people wanted them that badly.

I’ve never heard of a car dealership today selling a car for less money than people are willing to pay for them because of the kindness of their heart…outside of the koons vienna dealership you love.

I don’t believe Jeep put an absurd MSRP markup on these vehicles just to trick the customer into thinking they got a great deal on their hands, because behind the scenes it’s not really that expensive of a car.

When you start discounting luxury vehicles from MSRP that highly right out of the gates….they’re already losing

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where I live now, you can cover 40 miles in 40 minutes on my commute during peak traffic hours. In the NY metro area, it could easily take you over an hour just to go 25 miles.
Takes me 60-90 minutes just to go 30 miles on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. Even weekends. The Gowanus is not much better.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Also, what do you consider a "no brainer"? Does that mean out of a given 2 options, if one option achieves over 51% acceptance or higher, it's a "no brainer"? I wouldn't consider being a hair over 50% a "no brainer", but maybe you would. For me if 3 out of 4 people make the same choice given the same problem set, I would begin to sense that the common option may be a "no brainer". It would take at least 4 out of every 5 people to convince me that there's a "no brainer" option.

For some 2021 (or 2022 sales if 2021 data does not exist) US sales data for luxury 3 row SUVs. This is not an comprehensive list:

Cadillac Escalade - 40,505 units
Lincoln Navigator - 15,621 units
Grand Wagoneer - > 12,000 units (assuming based on Q4 2021 and Q1 2022 sales data because it started production in Q4 2021)

Audi Q7 - 25,362 units
MB GLS - 24,482 units
BMW X7 - 23,046 units
LR RR - 18,219

Bro…market selling price for a Tahoe Yukon and Escalade is over MSRP.

Market selling price for a Wagoneer is below MSRP.

MSRP is everything to a retail customer.

Jeep dealers wouldn’t have to discount them if people wanted them that badly.

I’ve never heard of a car dealership today selling a car for less money than people are willing to pay for them because of the kindness of their heart…outside of the koons vienna dealership you love.

I don’t believe Jeep put an absurd MSRP markup on these vehicles just to trick the customer into thinking they got a great deal on their hands, because behind the scenes it’s not really that expensive of a car.

When you start discounting luxury vehicles from MSRP that highly right out of the gates….they’re already losing
You're getting emotional and not thinking about what you're saying before typing and hitting post. You're using terms like "never", "no brainer", etc. without having data other than the closest dealership to you and one or two cherry picked articles. Just relax - it's the internet. There's really no need to get worked up.

MSRP means nothing to the retail customer. That's why it stands for Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price. Market selling price is what matters - what are you getting for the money you are spending.

But more importantly, when you say, "... they're already losing", who are you referring to? The manufacturer? The dealer? The retail customer?

How much a manufacturer/dealer profits over a per unit sale is less than tertiary priority for me as a retail customer. I simply don't care. I care about getting the best value for what I need. With that being said, maybe the following individual might care instead of the retail customer:

1. Employee of manufacturer
2. Owner or employee of dealership
3. Fanboi

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colton