Fix and Keep My 2015 GMC Yukon SLT or Get Rid of It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BringTheNoise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Was there any previous paperwork provided for repairs and maintenance or just a CarFax?

"I spent $1000 on detailing it, refinishing the wheels, matching front window tint, and fixing the tear in the seat and wear on console. It looks like a $30,000 to $40,000 truck".

IMO, Any money spent for looks should take a back seat till the mechanicals are all addressed. You have to expect that a used truck with 200K+ miles will need some work.

MY 2005 Tahoe Z71 is "dated" but mechanically is a work horse. @Doubeleive and @RoadTrip are giving you good advice about expectations and known needs.
Thank You for the reply. Carfax looked okay and I knew going in I’d have to spend 3 grand or more mechanically to make it right. Since I do have my other car I’m not going to rush into splurging money on it. If I be smart I’ll find a way to get that $3000 worth of items fixed for $1500. I just remind myself if how much even just a two year old one is and it makes spending tge money on it easier!

OP
OP
B

BringTheNoise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

If you do any wrenching at all, you can perform some of those repairs yourself. For the basic stuff, a vehicle is a vehicle, no matter who makes it. Do what you can do yourself, by obtaining OEM GM parts from either RockAuto.com or GMPartsDirrect.com, as they are way cheaper than buying parts at the local dealer.

Also, for those repairs that you can't or don't want to do yourself, give your local friend mastertech an opportunity to perform those repairs, if he is willing, as I'm sure that he will be just fine technically working on your truck, and he will be much cheaper than the local dealer.
Thank You for the advice and parts link suggestions!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said do the work yourself if you can or buy the parts at Rockauto and pay the mechanic $50 an hour. He has mechanical skills so different model should not matter. He can look up YouTube’s as well if he is uncertain on a repair. You will pay a Dealer full retail for parts and $150-$200 an hour for labor.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2015 Yukon XL SLT with 206k miles last week because I’ve been wanting to buy a cheap suv…

Help us understand why and the reasoning for wanting to buy a cheap SUV and based on what you’ve paid condition and miles more of us will be able to give more valuable input on if it’s worth staying on the track you’re going down…

IMO you’re doing well so far…

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just know if the transmission or engine has not been replaced then you will have to replace soon. The engine is at the end of its life and the transmission is overdue. You are going to need 6-10k each. Sell it and get one with low miles and ask your dealer to get you a warranty power train contract.

OP
OP
B

BringTheNoise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Help us understand why and the reasoning for wanting to buy a cheap SUV and based on what you’ve paid condition and miles more of us will be able to give more valuable input on if it’s worth staying on the track you’re going down…

IMO you’re doing well so far…
I wanted to get an suv that was under $ 25,000. I work at a car dealership and see lots of trade ins. I went ahead and bought Billstein 5100 struts and shocks today. I got AC decking for the strut mounts, insulators, boots, bumpers, and cups. I also ordered new sway bar links for front and rear.

So once I have all of this installed and do all the flushes, spark plugs I’ll have about $12,500 in it plus whatever else it may need. I just didn’t want to get into a money pit because the car is a 2015 with 207k miles and didn’t know if it would be worth dumping money into a 200k miles 2015 Yukon XL. I hope it’s good after I do these repairs but know I’ll probably need to get a few more items replaced.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working at dealership for sure is a huge help on the price you picked it up for.

I think you’re fine. At $12,500 if you get another 50K miles 1.5+ years of use without anything more needed that’s too major then you’re good. Or if something major happens that you’re not willing to spend the $ you should be able to sell it for not much of a loss.

OP
OP
B

BringTheNoise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Working at dealership for sure is a huge help on the price you picked it up for.

I think you’re fine. At $12,500 if you get another 50K miles 1.5+ years of use without anything more needed that’s too major then you’re good. Or if something major happens that you’re not willing to spend the $ you should be able to sell it for not much of a loss.
Thank You. I think that the truck “standing tall” with no leaks even with the miles might be worth $15,000 but even if I end up with $15,000 I hope I have a pretty solid truck. I can’t afford a $1500 to $2000 payment on a new one so I think this might be as good of a truck I can find for what I spent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daddy3513