Front HVAC blower motor intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well then that leaves either the controller or possibly a fuse is being wierd as joseph noted above with a possible motor issue, try new fuses first.
do you have a scanner? like a tech2?
is yours the manual control with big knobs or is it the digital auto control?
with the manual control I think it would be hard to tell if the whole unit is just loosing power, with the digital it has lights
The HVAC is auto, I do have access to a tech2 that I will have to borrow to see if it has set any codes. Pretty sure when the fan stops for a few seconds, both front and rear air stops. Problem is it's intermittent. I have also never heard of a fuse causing problems like that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The HVAC is auto, I do have access to a tech2 that I will have to borrow to see if it has set any codes. Pretty sure when the fan stops for a few seconds, both front and rear air stops. Problem is it's intermittent. I have also never heard of a fuse causing problems like that.
the fuse thing is just a thought, bad fuses can do bizzare things. had one once that looked fine but would only pass about 4v out of 12, others that looked fine passed testing on the top side but was still bad.
Intermittent issue's can be a real pain, when it cut's off is the temperature reseting to 74? or do you ever see it changing back to 74 on it's own?
anything else going on? flickering lights?

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fuse thing is just a thought, bad fuses can do bizzare things. had one once that looked fine but would only pass about 4v out of 12, others that looked fine passed testing on the top side but was still bad.
Intermittent issue's can be a real pain, when it cut's off is the temperature reseting to 74? or do you ever see it changing back to 74 on it's own?
anything else going on? flickering lights?
No symptoms, other than the fan turning off out of nowhere for a few seconds randomly. Makes me think a cabin thermometer going bad or something commanding the fan to turn off.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No symptoms, other than the fan turning off out of nowhere for a few seconds randomly. Makes me think a cabin thermometer going bad or something commanding the fan to turn off.
the auto function does turn the fan lower/higher but whenever I have used it the fan speed change is suttle it doesn't just cut off it will slow down and speed back up as it adjust's or vica-versa. But I never use auto in the hot summer it just can't keep up good enough.
but it's another reason to look at the scanner data and see what the sensors are showing commanded-versus-actual
the one above your head and the one above the 2nd row passenger are the ones that detect cabin temp. the ones in the ducting probably wouldn't be a issue.
try turning off "auto" and see if the problem goes away

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to drive with my window open..... Sometimes the fan ( does what you mention).... It blows strong, then slows... strong again...
I wonder if switching the 'vent' to .. interior only? I think that solves it ?

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning off auto doesn't help with the blower coming back on.

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed this the other day. Front fan cut off, the rear fan was still working. I tried to change the fan speed manually and got no change. Then after a few seconds the front fan kicks back on like nothing happened. Anyway, still having the problem.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noticed this the other day. Front fan cut off, the rear fan was still working. I tried to change the fan speed manually and got no change. Then after a few seconds the front fan kicks back on like nothing happened. Anyway, still having the problem.
have you checked the blower motor /harness to see if it looks burnt or anything? if you pull the blower motor out and disconnect the harness look inside the motor end of the harness for any burn marks and on the male tip that plugs in, had to replace mine because of this.

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked the blower motor /harness to see if it looks burnt or anything? if you pull the blower motor out and disconnect the harness look inside the motor end of the harness for any burn marks and on the male tip that plugs in, had to replace mine because of this.
I have looked at them, all look good. No traces of heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt

Latest posts