Fuel delivery probelms -- Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nummyx6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place to post...if not please redirect.

I have just installed my 6th fuel pump in two years last night. The truck fired right up and drove like a new one for about 5 miles. Then it started spitting and sputtering and eventually died altogether. Once I pulled it back home I was able to make it start but it ran very rough and then checked the pressure and it was like 6lbs. I know that isn't nearly enough but WTH is up with these pumps...or my truck. I did change the filter on the first one, which was about 40k miles ago, but not since. I haven't replaced thinking that if it runs great right out of the gate then it must not be clogged.

First I was told it was the cheap pumps I was buying at the big chain parts houses, so yesterday I installed an AC Delco and that is what it gave me.

HELP!!!!!!!!

yukon23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you getting any trouble codes ? What year is the kon I have an 02 I just replaced mine with a dealer ac delco pump and I had them check the book for my Fuel pressure to make sure I was in spec. 02 kon with the 5.3 flex fuel has 2 different pumps one with a pressure of 46-55 and the other was 50-68 im guessing you were the 50-68. By reading your fuel pressure at 6 lbs that is way too low unless you ment 61 lbs where that would be ideal. If it was only 6 lbs i would hook up the fuel pressure guage and pull the vac line off the fuel pressure regulator ( located on the fuel rail on the driver side of the motor ). That will leave the regulator wide open allowing the most amount of fuel delivery then check the guage see if it jumps up in pressure. You can take a quick roll around the block to see how she runs that is if the pressure did raise and assuming it did you will need a new pressure regulator there not expensive less then $50 bucks here in fl. Easy to change too. There should be no reason to go through 6 pumps in 2 years, not even 2 in 1 year. I believe your chasing after the wrong thing here. Give it a try and let me know what happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nummyx6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Turns out it was just bad luck. The 6th pump was bad. I have replace it (now on #7) and every thing was as it should have been. Pressure was about 52 lbs truck ran great and I took it on a small road trip yesterday and my gas mileage improved about 3mpg since I installed the first "off" brand pump. I guess AC Delco is the ONLY way to go....especially in the fuel pump area.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Make sure you are installing a new harness when replacing the fuel pump because it may be an electrical problem at the sending unit causing premature failure. There was a tech bulletin for this...And also keep at least 1/4 tank to keep the pump cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365