Fuel Filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heelz3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Below is a pic of my filter on a 03 Tahoe. I'm not sure if this is one of those flex fuel filters or if I can jsut get it at advance. Can anyone tell me?

Also, on one end of the filter it looks like all I need is two open end wrenches, the other has a nipple type connection, how do I get it off and back on?

Thanks,

008.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Heelz3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok, how much and where do you get the special tool and how does it work? The filter has never been changed so I figured its about time. Would it just be cheaper to have the dealer do it or me buy the filter and tool? Anyone know?

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Autozone, Oreilly's... hell, even Harbor Freight Tools has the tool for less than $15

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-fuel-and-auto-trans-line-disconnect-tool-set-96834.html

or

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...alty Tools&cm_cat=Shopzilla&cm_ven=Aggregates

The filter should be cheap too. Trust me, it's way too easy to change yourself to pay someone else to do it. Just open your gas cap, undo your neg cable on the battery...

Get under there with a wrench & your newly purchased tool. Bring a few rags because a little gas will still be in the line too.

Just take it out & put the new one back in the way it came out. I did mine with a homemade tool for the nipple end and it took less than 30 minutes.

Good luck
BH

OP
OP
H

Heelz3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks man. I will try to get it at advance. Do I need a 3/8 or 5/16 tool?

Last edited:

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
I think it's the 3/8", but you should measure to be sure. if you can get both, do it.. and return the one you don't use.

OP
OP
H

Heelz3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just tried to get it off this morning and I cannot get the end to release with the tool. I got the tool that has both sizes and one just 3/8. My problem is I cannot get the end of the line to go back far enough the get the tool inside it to release the little plastic piece. Anyone have any suggestions? I just left the old one on for now.

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
This is the homemade one I used before I bought the tool.
It's a baby medicine dispenser (basically a large hypodermic needle minus the needle part)

I had originally used my bolt cutters to cut the nipple piece off the filter, so I had to find something in the freaking garage to get it off of there.

This was the bottom section of the outer piece, and I just cut it off about 3/4" long, and then slit one side so it could go on the fuel line. You just pop it on the line, and then push it up into the filter to release the retainer clips. Remove the line, and retrieve your handy dandy tool.

I guess you could use anything like this as long as it's the right outside diameter, and is not so thick that it won't fit up into the filter.

picture.jpg

Don't laugh, it worked perfectly, and it did not cost me a penny because I have several of these laying around from when my son was an infant.

Necessity is the mother of all invention - Plato

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

or.....

Push the tool all the way in, push the line towards the tool and slide both back in the direction you want to take the line off and pull the line off. Sometimes they can be a pain.
You might even try twisting the filter slightly as you pull it away from the line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Heelz3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice idea. I tried again and was able to get it off by going to the next connection on the fuel line. The tool would work on that connection since it had enough room to slid into the hose and I was then able to get it and the filter loose from the car. I took it over to the bench and hacksawed the nipple off the filter. Then the tool would easily go in and release it from the hose. THere is just no way to get the tool end into that connection as long as the filter is on there, you have to cut it off to get the tool in.

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
you know, I think I read that somewhere that cutting it off made it easier to remove.

I'm glad you got it done, and saved yourself $75.

BH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevpar