Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do any tweaking to the amp itself to get the better bass? I have a similar amp that I haven't hooked up yet.

Not really. At first I had both the gain and the bass boost maxed out just trying to get sound out of it. Once I found the appropriate settings in the HU, I turned everything on the amp down to where it should be. It's 1000 watts at 2 ohms, confirmed by dyno tests. The sub is a 4 ohm DVC and is wired in parallel for 2 ohm. I wish I had two dual 2 ohm subs. The sub is only good for about 500 in a ported enclosure, so I gotta keep the amp turned down. The problem wasn't the amp or amount of power going to it, it was strictly the acoustics!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to send power to the remote input on the amp to get it to turn on. Without that you are driving the subs with head unit output only.

I had the amp on, triggered by the 12V wire for the power tumble second row seat. Ghetto, I know. But I wasn't gonna tear the interior back apart in the dark. I'll run a remote from the HU soon. I don't want it on a key-switched 12V cuz then the amp(s) would be on with the key on even if the HU is off.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would drive to Louisiana for some custom made big threeve cables!

Nice work on the FF stuff. Are there PCM modifications needed to "enable" the new physical sensor? If so, how are you doing it? HP Tuners, PCM Hammer/TunerPro?

Edit: Never mind, saw what looked like HPT in another thread.

View attachment 397630

Frisco? Between you in Frisco and Sam in or near Dallas and a couple other members around there, we could have a solid meet up! Maybe even in Shreveport and get @ScottyBoy in on the action. The current owner of my Xtreme is in Dallas but I don't think I wanna see it these days:bawl:. A friend just asked me the other day if I'd go to Lewisville to pick up a car he bought for his son and drive it back. I should've taken the job!

Yeah, I have HPT. It's just a matter of clicking "sensor" instead of "virtual", or whatever the terms are.

I just looked up "Threeve". Never heard of the term or the band.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would drive to Louisiana for some custom made big threeve cables!

Hell yeah!! I would too! Make me some for my ‘03.. @iamdub !

I don't know about y'all coming here. For one, the closer you get to I-10 in Louisiana, the sketchier. I was thinking Sam's place would be ideal since he's been teasing us with his grilling skills for years.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about y'all coming here. For one, the closer you get to I-10 in Louisiana, the sketchier. I was thinking Sam's place would be ideal since he's been teasing us with his grilling skills for years.
You'll protect us and provide security right? LOL We'll stay west of the Mississippi!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll protect us and provide security right? LOL

Evidently, on the highways here, it's "every man for himself".

We'll stay west of the Mississippi!

I live west of the Mississippi and stay on my side as much as possible, safely nestled away in the cane fields near False River! There's little reason to venture across the river into East Baton Rouge Parish. State Capitol Raceway is 3.04 miles as the crow flies and 5.6 miles driving from my shanty. In "town", there's one traffic light surrounded by a drive-thru daiquiri shop, seafood restaurant, Hunt Brothers pizza joint, Exxon, Cajun meat market, new McDonalds, couple gas stations, Family Dollar and Dollar General. Next closest traffic light is about 10 miles west and the next closest to that is 13 miles east. One Walmart is 18 miles south and the other is 15 miles north. The long, flat, straight stretch of highway is my test track for MPG at X speeds and is where I'll collect my data for before and after the new spark plugs.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I had the amp on, triggered by the 12V wire for the power tumble second row seat. Ghetto, I know. But I wasn't gonna tear the interior back apart in the dark. I'll run a remote from the HU soon. I don't want it on a key-switched 12V cuz then the amp(s) would be on with the key on even if the HU is off.
Did you figure out the issue with the sound then?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you figure out the issue with the sound then?

Location! The freaking acoustics literally muted the bass. The sub was between the second row captain's seats. Originally firing upward but we tried all positions (giggity). The sub was working hard. It was making sound the whole time but the bass frequencies were being absorbed by the Tahoe purely due to the position. I double-checked the box and port dimension and they're plenty close enough to Alpine's specs. Once we moved it to the cargo hold, playing the same test tracks, it threw down like it should. Craziness.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89