Installing your LED Tails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayeplussjr

Reaction score
These issues that people are having when installing the LED tails (brake light not working, cruise control not working, etc). Are these happening with the LED tails purchased off of ebay or are they happening with the more expensive LED tails from IPCW, Anzo or Recon as well?

justin146

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There were some questions about LEDs with barn doors. These fit mine with a little shimming of the screws with washers because the doors rubbed a little. The only problem with them is that I lost cruise. I bought a $10 resistor kit from Autozone to fix it though.

Attachments

• STA71146 (Medium).jpg
    STA71146 (Medium).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 85

boardrider05150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
resistors built in

Hi, awesome tailights. can you tell me what brands have the built in resistors in the led tails? Thanks,

BlacknBlue03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 tahoe and recently installed the smoked led taillights. The issue i have is my running lights don't come on but my brake and signal lights work fine. I have all the other parking lights and interior lights. I have checked all the fuses related too the parking lamps with no success. Does anyone know how to fix this. I also have an issue with the directionals flashing quickly. I know that is because the LEDs pull less voltage than the regular light but i would really like to fix that as well.

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 03 tahoe as well and have the smoked LED Tails from X3 racing on ebay. they have the built in resistors, and i have had no problems with anything since i've installed it two months ago. With the ones I have (plug n play) you have to make sure the wires are connected properly (ie black with black). If you reverse it, you will get your turn signals flashing quickly. Just reverse them and everything should work fine

mando2776

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to install your LED Tails.

We had a nice little thread on TF, and I figured I'd make a new one since the tails don't come with any instructions.

For this model, they have a clear version and a red version. Both come normal or smoked.

When you install your taillights, I would suggest numbering you light sockets and writing the corresponding # on the housing, just incase you need to install your old tail and to make things easier.

There are two metal clips that the screws catch on. These are located on your old taillights. You will pull these off, takes a little muscle and prying. But be careful, so you don’t break the plastic on your taillights.

LEDtail.jpg
When you hook up the harness' you want to follow the order above.
The Running lights/Brake light will be at the top.
The Blink will be in the middle.
The reverse light will be at the bottom and you will use the bulb for this.

If your lights aren't working check your fuses under the hood. I had a problem with my brake light switch, and it needed to be replaced.

(Don't remember his name off the top of my head, but on TF.com he had a little wiring diagram to have both the blinker and brake light to work in unison like the esky lights) Hopefully he'll join up and chime in.

2364700733_34c1fe296f.png
2364707261_96e4772b48.png
2423545343_b274caca8a.png
2424374494_6d561052e5.png
2365542136_1819284b11.png
2507678014_656586a10e.png

Here's some pics of the non smoked version:
DSCF6638.gif
DSCF6575.gif

They can be purchased on ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZ2006Q20yukonQ20ledQ20taillightsQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

Found a vid:
[yt]zJ0grZP6zAg[/yt]

Feel free to add on other LED brands/models and if I forgot something add it.

question.....
i bought the same led tail lights u have for an 04 tahoe.
once i installed them.... my turn signals were flashing rapidly. and my parking lights werent turning on, just the brake lights... any suggestions? thanks.
btw, i didnt follow your diagram above... i actually used the urn signal on the top and brake in the middle... could this be the prob? thanks....

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the problem - also make sure the black wires at the plugs line up. I have same ligfhts w/ no issues.

mando2776

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks bkboatnsleds... problem fixed..... i did line up the blk wires...
didn't wanna blow the fuses. i did use the diagram above and connected the turn signals to the middle plug. looks great and works perfect...

Attachments

• ldphoto.jpg
    ldphoto.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 64

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't remember his name off the top of my head, but on TF.com he had a little wiring diagram to have both the blinker and brake light to work in unison like the esky lights) Hopefully he'll join up and chime in.

Might have to fool with figuring this out.. I like that look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvaz2000