Is This A PPV, An SSV, or What?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the thread is about a GMT-900 and the above it accurate; it only holds until 2020; 2021+ PPVs can be configured in 4x4.
my neighbor is a sheriff and has a brand new 2024, 4x4 but it's not configured for ppv, I see that they can be though, I was just talking to him about it a couple weeks ago
the new ones have so many nannies.... they must have them tuned out or something for police work. The standard vehicle has shown pretty dismal testing.

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my neighbor is a sheriff and has a brand new 2024, 4x4 but it's not configured for ppv, I see that they can be though, I was just talking to him about it a couple weeks ago
the new ones have so many nannies.... they must have them tuned out or something for police work. The standard vehicle has shown pretty dismal testing.
Yep, fascinating that besides the brake packages and the OEM tires the SSV/PPV are becoming more software changes than physical.

The option codes are in the truck, which makes me think that you can probably make a civilian Tahoe a PPV/SSV and disable the stupid tech with the right software.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... the new GMT 1xx have so many nannies ... they must have them tuned out or something for police work. Standard GMT 1xx vehicles have shown pretty dismal testing.
Although you're ABSOLUTELY right about PPV & SSV tuning (which is more complex than ever),
are y'all aware that the PPV's PCV system uses the Corvette PCV system (including much taller valvecovers),
while all the other engines don't?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although you're ABSOLUTELY right about PPV & SSV tuning (which is more complex than ever),
are y'all aware that the PPV's PCV system uses the Corvette PCV system (including much taller valvecovers),
while all the other engines don't?
I haven't heard of any component upgrades to the engine, so unsure why this would be case other than appearance
all it say's under engine is
5.3L V8 VVT (variable valve timing), Direct high-pressure fuel injection with Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM)that allows engine to operate in 17 different cylinder patterns (as few as two cylinders) to optimize powerdelivery and efficiency. The DFM controller calculates 80 times per second to determine how many cylindersare required to meet the driver’s requested torque. (see powertrain page for description and emissions, see alsospecifications page)
engine is noted a L84 without any other changes noted
the projected top end is spec'd lower in both 124/4wd, 130/2wd although "they should" do more than that
and that is without equipment.

Last edited:

ejf2461

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy, boys:
Several months ago I bought a low mileage 2014 Tahoe. It was represented as an LS, and it may be. But I was looking at the glove box codes the other day and it has "VPV", which is the code for Kerr Industries. As I'm sure you know, Kerr does the police and emergency vehicle mods for GM there in Arlington. I called Kerr and they said they didn't know; they could not find a record on my VIN. (I understand that - it's 10-years old.) I can't find any spare wiring harnesses, it does not have rubber floor mats, no extra dome lights, no holes drilled in the roof, etc. It does seem to have a fairly stiff ride. It also has an "X88" build code (Chevrolet conversion) and an "NC7" (Federal Emissions override) - whatever those mean. The only other things I can say is, it was bought new by the U.S. Air Force, it is silver in color, and I love it. Oh, it came to me with stock cast aluminum wheels. However, they were suffering from a breakdown in the clear coat finish, so I put different wheels on it; the point being, it did not have steel wheels on it when I bought it.
I'm thinking if the air force bought it new, they probably got a bunch. Maybe they were used for base security, or assigned to a ranking officer? Is anyone familiar with this type air force Tahoe? If so, can you tell me why it went through Kerr Industries? Much obliged.
P.S.: It is 4X4.
The 2007-2014 Chevolet Tahoe came in PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicle) and in 2wd only. If you opt'd for 4x4 you got the SSV (Special Service Vehicle). Kerr industries does the police package install for Chevrolet. If you vehicle had a spotlight, headlight flasher, provisioning for siren, siren speaker, corner led light holes then Kerr made that happen. As soon as the Tahoe rolls off the assembly line it goes about 5 minutes away to Kerr industries which is on property in Arlington Texas at the GM Plant. When we order our squad cars we have Kerr do the complete police equipment install. Most federal government orders have carpet and a few other options made specially for the feds. I know border patrol tahoes have their own lifted suspension and under engine bracing right from the factory. You will know its a federal ssv if it has a special top speed limiter at 99mph on the 2007-2014 SSV's. Hope this helps some.

OP
OP
L

Lil Timmy Shy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 2007-2014 Chevolet Tahoe came in PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicle) and in 2wd only. If you opt'd for 4x4 you got the SSV (Special Service Vehicle). Kerr industries does the police package install for Chevrolet. If you vehicle had a spotlight, headlight flasher, provisioning for siren, siren speaker, corner led light holes then Kerr made that happen. As soon as the Tahoe rolls off the assembly line it goes about 5 minutes away to Kerr industries which is on property in Arlington Texas at the GM Plant. When we order our squad cars we have Kerr do the complete police equipment install. Most federal government orders have carpet and a few other options made specially for the feds. I know border patrol tahoes have their own lifted suspension and under engine bracing right from the factory. You will know its a federal ssv if it has a special top speed limiter at 99mph on the 2007-2014 SSV's. Hope this helps some.
Thanks. That helps (I think). My SSV(?) has none of the above that I can see. However, it clearly has the production code indicating it went to Kerr for something. "What" is the question, and I guess I will never know..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbok68