Issue at a gas station

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tabatharuff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So we have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe and it starts & runs great except when we go to this one particular gas station. After fueling up when we go to start it it turns & cranks but doesn't start right away, & then we do it again & it starts with a little difficulty. Every other place including other gas stations it starts fine can anyone tell me why this is happening. It doesn't what time of day but it is literally every time we go to this gas station...

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe and it starts & runs great except when we go to this one particular gas station. After fueling up when we go to start it it turns & cranks but doesn't start right away, & then we do it again & it starts with a little difficulty. Every other place including other gas stations it starts fine can anyone tell me why this is happening. It doesn't what time of day but it is literally every time we go to this gas station...
How low do you run your fuel tank when you fill up? I find it hard to believe that if it was bad gas, that it would raise an issue right away as there is good gas in your fuel line that should be enough to start the motor.

Once you get it running, does it start and run fine for the rest of the tank?

I am assuming that you are filling it up until the nozzle clicks. Try and see what happens if you only fill up the tank 3/4 of the way? They may have a bad trip setting on their nozzles that allow the tank to be overfilled before it trips causing it to foul your evap system.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that south main auto guy said he had a customer that he didn't believe at first but proved that one specific station always made his truck run bad and set a code, I forget what code, one of the general emissions ones.

could go to any other station even the same chain and it not happen. I'd honest just called it weird and avoid that a station as long as it runs good everywhere else.

reminds me of that old joke. hey doc, it hurts when I do this. do c says, well don't do that.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of filling up our old S10 Blazer completely full, right up in the neck, just before putting it away for the winter. Next spring I got a SES light, scanned for that emissions systems code, spent a lot of time trying different stuff, nothing worked. Read on a forum about overfilling, so I just drove it and it finally cleared itself. I'm guess the charcoal canister was fouled. I'd guess the nozzle or a slower fill rate was over filling and causing your problem too?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
These trucks are of the age that the charcoal evap containers should have been replaced. They allow charcoal pellets into the fuel system which does all kinds of crazy stuff like you’re describing.

Cross your fingers and swap it out. If it’s not leaking carbon pellets when you change it out, it’s the BEST case scenario plus you did the required maint to avoid the issue.

Trilla_one

Reaction score
My 2007 with 239k miles has a similar issue that started a year ago. I still haven't been able to figure it out. It has an extra long crank sometimes and sometimes it only starts on the 2nd try with difficulty like yours does. Mine has no correlation with gas stations though.

I do have a large evap leak code that I have not been able to pin point, and I smell old gas around the rear of the truck 95% of the time. The smell is usually stronger while i'm filling up(maybe it's because i'm standing back there). So far I have replaced the Fuel pump, Charcoal cannister, Vent valve, Purge valve, Gas cap(at least 3 times), and even 02 sensors. Problem still exists

I have however noticed that the starting issue only happens if I am below 1/4 tank so I have been getting by keeping it above. The only other thing I can think of trying next is to have the dealer do a smoke test. Good luck resolving your issue.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2007 with 239k miles has a similar issue that started a year ago. I still haven't been able to figure it out. It has an extra long crank sometimes and sometimes it only starts on the 2nd try with difficulty like yours does. Mine has no correlation with gas stations though.

I do have a large evap leak code that I have not been able to pin point, and I smell old gas around the rear of the truck 95% of the time. The smell is usually stronger while i'm filling up(maybe it's because i'm standing back there). So far I have replaced the Fuel pump, Charcoal cannister, Vent valve, Purge valve, Gas cap(at least 3 times), and even 02 sensors. Problem still exists

I have however noticed that the starting issue only happens if I am below 1/4 tank so I have been getting by keeping it above. The only other thing I can think of trying next is to have the dealer do a smoke test. Good luck resolving your issue.
When I had similar issues with my 2007, I had a fuel pump that was letting line pressure to drop. The first attempt got it almost up to pressure and the 2nd attempt would get it going.

Reaction score
Do the Gmt800 trucks use the same style charcoal canister as the gmt900 trucks? My 2001 has the original charcoal canister and evap line/system and have never had any kind of problems like this at ~260k miles.

Also has original coil packs, exhaust, cats, muffler

Trilla_one

Reaction score
When I had similar issues with my 2007, I had a fuel pump that was letting line pressure to drop. The first attempt got it almost up to pressure and the 2nd attempt would get it going.
I need a good mechanic to properly diagnose it. Have to stop throwing random parts at it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CraneDudeUSA