Key fob locks but won't unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captnerdo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Tahoe, 2 key fobs, lock and panic alarm on both work correctly, unlock function will not work on either. Batteries replaced, no help. Anyone have any ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
have you taken the fob apart and made sure there's nothing up? I'm guessing its the Factory fob, right?

You know, at Oreilly's Auto Parts they have a display at the front for selling Fob batteries. It tests the strength of the signal to see if you need a new battery. If you can find one of these, just go and test your fob. You said you have new batteries, but If your unlock button is not sending signal it will detect it.

BH

OP
OP
C

captnerdo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply bahollis! I took the factory fob apart, replaced battery. Good idea on signal check...I will try that.

suppersz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
any luck fred? mine is acting up as well, just replaced a brand new battery and it still goes crazy. besides the signal strength, should i look into reprogramming?

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can try to reprogram the remote, there are instructions online...
but It shouldn't just stop working from factory setting, but who knows..

suppersz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you're talking to me bk, yes it's working. i ended up doing the On, off programming and it started working. then a few hours later, it'll go dead again. This is just on a factory key fob, so I'm looking into an alarm/ remote start and hope it works out.

str8wkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds like the long term or is the short term, cant remember witch but my buddy says that one of the memorys craps out and causes problems like this and is over ridabable (bad spelling sorry) with after market

suppersz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it sounds like the long term or is the short term, cant remember witch but my buddy says that one of the memorys craps out and causes problems like this and is over ridabable (bad spelling sorry) with after market

well, that sucks. i guess i'll just have to tough it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevpar