Letting Your Vehicle Warm Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I let mine warm up for a few minutes when its chilly like now. Helps not have piston slap in the morning. When its real cold here, -30, I will let it run for 10 maybe even 15, and I let it run if I am at the store.

Yukon

Reaction score
I ALWAYS start my vehicle a little before i get in, warm up/cool down..

but it's a little easier for me than most...

i just hit the middle button..

haha...

Attachments

• viper.jpg
    viper.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 11

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys that start up and let your trucks run for 10-20 minutes before driving have issues with your O2 sensors? I've heard that letting your vehicle warm-up and idle that long can cause premature failure of O2 sensors........

Any truth in that statement?

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the cold ill let it run for a minute or 2 and be on my way. i wont go WOT untill its fully warm. no reason for 15-20 minutes of idling thats just wasting gas IMO

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually in winter, I start it a few minutes before I have to leave. Doesn't really get too cold where I am. But I can tell how ready she is by how she drives when she first takes off. Normally I don't get out of first gear for a couple blocks by accelerating real slow.

Also, how often do you guys go WOT?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys that start up and let your trucks run for 10-20 minutes before driving have issues with your O2 sensors? I've heard that letting your vehicle warm-up and idle that long can cause premature failure of O2 sensors........

Any truth in that statement?

I havent had any troubles, been letting mine idle every winter for 5 years now. So far so good!

Usually in winter, I start it a few minutes before I have to leave. Doesn't really get too cold where I am. But I can tell how ready she is by how she drives when she first takes off. Normally I don't get out of first gear for a couple blocks by accelerating real slow.

Also, how often do you guys go WOT?

I do if it is warmed up and I have to jump on the highway. Couple times a week I suppose.

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live on a Hill. so my procedure is kinda different.

I park going down a hill.. when my kids is almost ready and wife, i get into the car, until they get inside and put there seat-belt.

then i put my car into Neutral and let it Cruise down on its own until i hit a stop sigh. then i put my car into first gear. and drive OFF. its a Everyday thing for me.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
electric fans are a help with cold winters. thats for damn sure. you can drive basically anywhere within 20 min and not have your fans turn on.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of our trucks are new, mileage-wise and we all have some wear and tear. It's good to let them idle a bit and ensure oil pressure is up and the fluid is circulating in all galleries for a bit, even when it's a bit above freezing. Down into the teens or approaching zero...I'll let it idle for 10-15 minutes for the first start up of the day.

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta let my diesel warm up for a few minutes when it's really cold (say, below freezing), otherwise it sounds like I'm going to shoot a piston out the side of the block!! I'll normally let it warm up for 15 minutes just so that I can have heat on the way out the driveway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968