Letting Your Vehicle Warm Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys that start up and let your trucks run for 10-20 minutes before driving have issues with your O2 sensors? I've heard that letting your vehicle warm-up and idle that long can cause premature failure of O2 sensors........

Any truth in that statement?

None that I can tell, been doing this for years on several vehicles. Two or so on the Yukon.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Usually in winter, I start it a few minutes before I have to leave. Doesn't really get too cold where I am. But I can tell how ready she is by how she drives when she first takes off. Normally I don't get out of first gear for a couple blocks by accelerating real slow.

Also, how often do you guys go WOT?

Easily two times a week day, also when jumping on the main Hwy. Never when the engine is still not warmed up though.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

electric fans are a help with cold winters. thats for damn sure. you can drive basically anywhere within 20 min and not have your fans turn on.

Some mornings so far this fall/winter, they don't come on at all on the morning commute. The thermostat does the regulating, so the efans rarely come on at all, just when idling.

Diller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys that start up and let your trucks run for 10-20 minutes before driving have issues with your O2 sensors? I've heard that letting your vehicle warm-up and idle that long can cause premature failure of O2 sensors........

Probably not. Otherwise, every Police car on the planet would forever have a Check Engine light on.

Diller
'99 Yukon
'08 Hummer H3

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score

i have remote starters in all my cars and not one 02 ever gone bad. One car has been over 7 years.

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
Your engine and trannies do need to warm up! Like stated before, oil needs to warm up in order for it to function properly as in lubricting parts efficiently...

Transmission...ever cold start and feels like the tranny is shifting...makes alot of noise before it shifts into gear...its because the fluid hasn't reach opersting temp and stall converter is locking up until it reaches operating temps in order for it to shift...

do what you want...fact is fact

ff40

I agree with this as well.

I let mine warm up for about 5-10 minutes before taking off on the cold winter mornings. In the summer I don't.

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a personal standing rule since I started driving.
>40degrees, just get in and go.
<40 degrees, warm up truck for 5-10min while getting crap together for work.
<20 degrees, start truck, go back inside, take shower and dress, get on my way.
So far this has worked out really well, and I am always comfy when I start my drive to work or wherever. I can't always do this, but I do it as often as possible and personally feel it makes a difference.

I also ALWAYS warm up my boat before going out. 10min minimum. This lets me know if the raw-water intake picked something up and is clogged. Better to still be at the dock when you find out.

+1 on both topics, i work on boats and not many people let the boats warm up and wonder why they stall or run a little rough, 90% of boats here at least are carbuerated.

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All u guys park outside overnight?
My hoes In the garge and here in Cali it doesn't really get cold
But I'll start it up get my iPod hooked up turn the lights on then just let the truck idle itself around the block
Then start smashn! She runs better when it's cold
Suckn in all that cold air!!

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I let mine warm up warm or cold cuz I'm pretty **** about taking off! LOL It's not my daily driver so when I do get in it I'm checking for shit, listening for shit, adjusting shit, finding music, making sure I didn't leave anything etc. etc. etc. I like my a/c cold and my heat warm before I pull off. On a good day I'll smoke a whole square before I get out the fuggn garage....

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
But I'll start it up get my iPod hooked up turn the lights on then just let the truck idle itself around the block

TBIs dont smashh! haha

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yup, no garage here. Gets to sit through all the storms and freezing weather up here. Wish I had one though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968