Letting Your Vehicle Warm Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
I'm not privelaged enough to park inside so my hoe sees everything the weather can produce.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your buddy is right, unless it's below zero, there is really no need to warm up a vehicle anymore. With todays tighter tolerances, better oils, and computer engine management, warming it up is really only good for creature comforts.

With that being said if it is below zero then a couple minutes of warm up would be advisable. Notice I said a couple minutes, not 15-30 like a lot of people do. The point here is just to get some heat in the oil so it flows through all the passages and galleys freely, making sure that all parts are lubricated properly.

I get in and drive most of the time. Only if its below zero do I start my vehicle a couple minutes early. Driving nice and easy until the vehicle warms up, is always best.:)

:word:

Engine management and oil technology has come a long way, this isn't the 60's anymore LOL. By the time I'm done backing out of the driveway the oil is circulating enough. Letting it sit there and idle is the worst way to warm it up.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4213313

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Warming_up_your_engine

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/idling/warm-up.cfm?attr=8

http://www.motherearthnews.com/ask-our-experts/car-engine-warm-up.aspx

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never really do it, doesnt get too cold down here. even if it does, it would be running at over a 100 degrees in a jiffy. i have a big douche of a friend that has an 04 yuk and he always lets it "warm up" for 2 minutes in his driveway, even though he has one of the cleanest rides ive seen

THE-HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little rule of thumb i use that i was told from a very reliable engine builder. Every 60 degrees below 70 wait a minute before driving. So if its 60 I wait a min, 40 i wait 3 min. At 70 or above he said you should be good to go, but i still wait a min. Even if you dont wait long at all at least wait for the vehicle to idle down in park, I hate to hear people start ther vehicles and put them in drive and go before the starter is even done turning.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
31 degrees this morning, my Tahoe sits outside. Fired it up and I could hear/feel it "settle in" comfortably at 2 minutes 37 seconds. It took half that time to get the outside mirrors cleared of frost and the windshield to where I could see through it well enough. Not a big deal to wait a few in the morning during the first start up of the day.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let mine warm up when its cold outside. the hoe lets you know when its ready... the vortec knock goes away. 185,000 miles.

i have a garage but the Hoe no longer fits in the current garage door.

chevyguy17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i usually just get in and go yeah the leather seats are cold but i put up with it

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This topic is super interesting to me. Yes there are a lot of myth's regarding this, and many of us have or know people that have extensive knowledge about this type of question.

New question to this.

Has the 5.7L block that was installed in so many OBS trucks, really changed all that much over the years? I'm thinking that some of the old-school tecnhiques really do come into play over a new 5.3L with all the fancy engineering.

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its 30* or less i will run my vehicle for a good 15-20 minuts before taking off.If its 35-40* i will idle it for a good 10-15 minuts.If its 40-50* i will run for a good 5 minuts before leaving.Im just **** like that.... I will also run my heater on "low" as to not rob to much heat from my motor.

I have noticed that when its really cold out,my Tahoe will run @ 2000RPM untill the tranny warms up,then it will drop down to 1500RPM.This is going down the road @ 55 MPH.

From what i was told its just the PCM holding the lower gear untill the trans reaches a certen temp,it will then allow the trans to shift into OD.

Their have been times in the past (with a few of my shit beater cars) that when i would just take off without letting the vehicle warm up,i would get this "burning smell".Never could figure out what that smell was but i knew it can't be good.I would only get this smell when i did not let the vehicle warm up before taking off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968